Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking goal from external medium

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am relevantly new to GA and my case might be pretty easy to solve perhaps. I have a website hosted at example.com and a campaign page at campaign.example.com. I also have set a goal at an address example.com/thank-you. 

My mission is simple. I want to see through which source did people get to campaign.example.com and compare the same source when viewing the goal and at the same time seeing the campaign.example.com as a landing page under secondary dimension.

What is the best way to do this? At the moment I have the ga create commands as the following:

example.com - ga("create", "XXXX", "example.com")

campaign.example.com - ga("create", "XXXX", "campaign.example.com")

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erik E
December 2015

Re: Tracking goal from external medium

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thanks Erik.

As I mentioned in my first reply, you don't need any additional configuration for tracking between the subdomain and main domain in Universal Analytics.

You need to set the cookie domain to "auto" in the tracking code on both the main domain and on subdomain:

ga('create', 'UA-67277050-1', 'auto');

This will resolve the issue. Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eric,

You don't need any additional configuration for tracking users across subdomains in Universal Analytics.
If you want to have full page URLs to appear in your reports you need to set up a filter:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah, we tried the filter but the filtered messed up the goal tracking. Goal URL stayed as /thank-you/, not example.com/thank-you/ and this meant we couldn't track goals any more (or at least they didn't change). Also, regular expression in the goal did not seem to work.

Also, at the moment campaign.example.com is displayed as an external referral, does it mean that even if a user comes from google / cpc to the campaign.example.com and then navigates to example.com, will the source be google or is it campaign.example.com?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Erik,

You need to update your goals when using the filter.

Regarding the issue with the referral make sure you add your domain to the referral exclusion list. Property -> Tracking Info -> Referral Exclusion List

Note that it will not work for returning users who already have the referrer set to campaign.example.com. When they come back as direct they will still have that source set. Let me know if you have more questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay, I got everything working except the source/medium when user navigates from campaign.example.com to example.com domain.

I followed an utm campaign, which set my source/medium as required when I went to campaign.example.com. But as soon as I navigated to example.com through a link, my source/medium was set to (none)/(direct). I want it to be the same as it was when I landed on campaign.example.com.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
If no new session is triggered when the user navigates from campaign.example.com to example.com then you would not loose the referrer. Direct does not overwrite the referrer. If you could post your site URL I'd be glad to take a look at your setup.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erik E
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thanks Erik.

As I mentioned in my first reply, you don't need any additional configuration for tracking between the subdomain and main domain in Universal Analytics.

You need to set the cookie domain to "auto" in the tracking code on both the main domain and on subdomain:

ga('create', 'UA-67277050-1', 'auto');

This will resolve the issue. Let me know if you have more questions.