Analytics
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking entry to a specific page as a goal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to track a specific entry page as a goal in analytics is this possible? It is a page that can only be entered via a marketing channel that I wish to track as a conversion.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking entry to a specific page as a goal

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Is a view of the page the same as the goal conversion i.e. if I view /thankyou/ that is the same as converting? If that is the case then you could set a destination goal as matching that exact URL.
John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John, but the view of the page is not the same as a conversion. Let say the page is called /results/ which anyone can get to but I'm keen to count any entry to this page as a success as these people return to this page through marketing activities.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Derek D
December 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Might take a bit of mucking around, but you could trigger an event when a user enters through that page. Then setup a conversion based on the event.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
I'm still not entirely following you - you say that a view of the page is not a conversion (anyone can see it), but then you wish to count any entry from this page as a success. Am I right in thinking that you wish to track visitors who have this page as their entrance as a success? Goals in GA do allow rules to be set regarding what triggers them, but specifying that the first page viewed must be a certain URL is not possible.

Instead, you could use an advanced segment where the landing page is the /results/ page. However, if traffic volumes are high then you may get some sampling of your data which you need to consider when analysing.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Derek,

As I understand you need to track all the people who come to this page from marketing activities such as Email, Adwords, Facebook Ads, etc. as success and count the number of page views as a goal.

Try this and see.
Step1
First create a page view goal. Then it will track who ever come to that page. We can't separate campaigns from this level. Refer the link below and set up a Destination Goal as per given instructions.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032415?hl=en

Step 2
I hope you know how to set up custom reports. Otherwise refer this link https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1151300?hl=en

Step 3
Then select "Flat" report type and take "page" and "Source/Medium" as the "Dimensions" and related goal as the "Metric".

Step 4
Now apply a filter including the marketing campaign "source" OR " Medium". Use "|" pine sign to separate each of them.

Also apply a filter to the "Page" and mention the related page name in front.

Now save the report and it will indicate the landing page you refer and the campaign source & Medium, and number of goals each source/medium completed.

Hope that will help you.

Thanks,
Shehan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John, yes I "wish to track visitors who have this page as their entrance as a success" I think the only way to do this is to fire an event on this happening and then count that as a goal as mentioned by Richard P.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank Richard, this makes sense.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
That sounds like it can work (though using an advanced segment does not require any code changes). Consider all the difference between unique events and events when calculating conversion rate for the goal, if it is based on an event.