Analytics
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking different types of sales- Software Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have inherited two websites on which customers can configure their products in different ways according to their wish. One of them is on a software, which leads customers back to our website, this other simply happens onsite. We want to track down how many customers use the software to make a transaction, rather than the online version.

Aside from setting utm parameters on the outgoing link from the software to the shop (which would not be the best as it would, as I understand, overrun our SEM campaigns and make the reports wrong), I haven't found how to solve this best. The url used for the shop when you exit the software is exactly the same as the one for the other way to design, so relying on the referrer url is not a solution.

Does anyone have the same issue or the solution to that?

Thanks Smiley Wink

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking different types of sales- Software Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Rather than utm parameters (which as you have noted, are not suited to this situation), are you able to append some other sort of parameter for the url used for the shop when exiting the software in order to differentiate it?
eg type=sw
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your help!

This is actually what we have planned a few weeks ago, but can't develop at the moment.

So basically, to find out what it gives in Analytics we should always rely on the destination url & campaign reportings to analyse the results after implementation, correct?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Sorry, I'm a bit lost with what it is you are trying to track?

You are wanting to distinguish the url for those that get sent to the shop url upon exiting the software.

The campaign reports should tell you where the customer came from eg organic, or paid advertising, referral etc
however its not going to tell you whether they used the software or online version.

What sort of software is it eg something that gets installed on a desktop... or some other type of software?
Do they have to download the software from the site in order to use it?

If they have to download the software or some thing similar, you could setup custom dimensions to track downloads.

Beyond my experience/knowledge however you may also be able to use the Measurement Protocol in some way too
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry for the confusion.

I have difficulty understanding where/how we would see the results in Analytics once "sw" is being implemented into the link from the software to the shop. The software gets installed on the desktop after a download, and may be used quite some time after that. Once the product is configured and ready to be bought, the customer gets sent to the website for the transaction. We are able to track downloads but not how many of our sales are generated by the software.

We are thinking of implementing a parameter like /?source=sw. Should we then analyze on Analytics per destination url, filtering out with "sw" within the url? Or is there a specific report that is better suited?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Nps, sorry for confusion too.
Seems we are both a bit confused lol :-))

Adding a parameter such as /?source=sw. will allow you analyze via the destination url
That way, transactions that occur in a session with a landing page that includes /?source=sw
you will know have come from the software.