AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking different event categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're tracking several event categories, including payment methods.

Our payment methods include "Payment Credit/Cheque Card", "Payment RCS Card" and "Payment EFT".

Our website has runs on Magento, and our process is to connect to a socket and then gather header strings that we wish to write to said socket after a purchase has been made. For each payment, we write a minimum of 3 header strings to this socket: Payment, Order and Item(There can be multiple of these depending on how many items the customer purchased).

Examples of these header strings:

Payment

POST /collect HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.110 Safari/537.36
Host: ssl.google-analytics.com
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Content-Length: 120
Connection: Close

v=1&tid=<OUR GA ID>&cid=1880360715.1463573945&t=event&ec=Payment+EFT&ea=Payment+Received&el=16070400005594&ev=414.0000

Order

POST /collect HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.110 Safari/537.36
Content-Length: 133

v=1&tid=<OUR GA ID>&cid=1880360715.1463573945&t=transaction&ti=16070400005594&ta=Runway+Sale&tr=414.0000&ts=45.0000&tt=45.3200&cu=R

Item(s)

POST /collect HTTP/1.1
Content-Length: 139

v=1&tid=<OUR GA ID>&cid=1880360715.1463573945&t=item&ti=16070400005594&in=Mens+Blue+Pangea+Trainer&ip=369&iq=0.0000&ic=A005119-031-6&cu=R

Our problem is this: Payment EFT is not getting tracked. The other payment methods are getting tracked fine, and when we write the header set of a Payment EFT transaction to the socket, the Order and Item strings are tracked.

The only difference I can see is that we're using the string "Payment EFT" as our event category, but changing it to a different string does not result in it being tracked.

I've tried changing the event category of a credit card transaction with the result that the new event category does not show up even after 150 minutes, but the order and items do track.

I'm not sure if I have to register the event category somewhere to get it tracked or something like that, and I *really* need some help at this point. If there is any pertinent information that I left out, please let me know so I can fill in any gaps that would prevent you from helping me!

Kind and hopeful regards,
Lodewyk

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lodewyk D
July 2016

Re: Tracking different event categories

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

It seems that it's the event value that causes the problem, it has to be an integer. Please try without the .0000.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/parameters#ev

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Lodewyk,

Have you tested this in hit builder (use a test property) to see where it fails/works?

https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/hit-builder/

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lodewyk D
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

It seems that it's the event value that causes the problem, it has to be an integer. Please try without the .0000.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/parameters#ev

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Arnold! I just stepped into the office this morning and started using the hit builder and reached the same conclusion!