Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking different event categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're tracking several event categories, including payment methods.

Our payment methods include "Payment Credit/Cheque Card", "Payment RCS Card" and "Payment EFT".

Our website has runs on Magento, and our process is to connect to a socket and then gather header strings that we wish to write to said socket after a purchase has been made. For each payment, we write a minimum of 3 header strings to this socket: Payment, Order and Item(There can be multiple of these depending on how many items the customer purchased).

Examples of these header strings:

Payment

POST /collect HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.110 Safari/537.36
Host: ssl.google-analytics.com
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Content-Length: 120
Connection: Close

v=1&tid=<OUR GA ID>&cid=1880360715.1463573945&t=event&ec=Payment+EFT&ea=Payment+Received&el=16070400005594&ev=414.0000

Order

POST /collect HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.110 Safari/537.36
Content-Length: 133

v=1&tid=<OUR GA ID>&cid=1880360715.1463573945&t=transaction&ti=16070400005594&ta=Runway+Sale&tr=414.0000&ts=45.0000&tt=45.3200&cu=R

Item(s)

POST /collect HTTP/1.1
Content-Length: 139

v=1&tid=<OUR GA ID>&cid=1880360715.1463573945&t=item&ti=16070400005594&in=Mens+Blue+Pangea+Trainer&ip=369&iq=0.0000&ic=A005119-031-6&cu=R

Our problem is this: Payment EFT is not getting tracked. The other payment methods are getting tracked fine, and when we write the header set of a Payment EFT transaction to the socket, the Order and Item strings are tracked.

The only difference I can see is that we're using the string "Payment EFT" as our event category, but changing it to a different string does not result in it being tracked.

I've tried changing the event category of a credit card transaction with the result that the new event category does not show up even after 150 minutes, but the order and items do track.

I'm not sure if I have to register the event category somewhere to get it tracked or something like that, and I *really* need some help at this point. If there is any pertinent information that I left out, please let me know so I can fill in any gaps that would prevent you from helping me!

Kind and hopeful regards,
Lodewyk

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lodewyk D
July 2016

Re: Tracking different event categories

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

It seems that it's the event value that causes the problem, it has to be an integer. Please try without the .0000.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/parameters#ev

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Lodewyk,

Have you tested this in hit builder (use a test property) to see where it fails/works?

https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/hit-builder/

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lodewyk D
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

It seems that it's the event value that causes the problem, it has to be an integer. Please try without the .0000.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/parameters#ev

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Arnold! I just stepped into the office this morning and started using the hit builder and reached the same conclusion!