AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking cross domain ecommerce conversion with google Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to track the conversion rate of people who click on Google ads, go to my website and then get redirected to Gumroad to make purchases. 

I can see the flow from my website -> Gumroad but if I filter by paid search it stops at my website and doesn't show any views on Gumroad (There definitely should be). So I think that means cross domain tracking works but not with adwords views?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Joost

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking cross domain ecommerce conversion with google Adwords

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Joost,

Do you see traffic on Gumroad for any other sources?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

I've just realized that it's not accurately tracking the flow from my website to Gumroad so that means cross domain tracking isn't working after all.

This is what I entered for my website:

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-66782317-1', 'auto', {'allowLinker': true});
ga('require', 'linker');
ga('linker:autoLink', ['gumroad.com'] );
ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

Can you spot anything wrong with that?

Thanks,

Joost

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Joost,

Cross domain has to be in place on both ends. What code do you have on gumroad?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think Gumroad generates the code automatically? I can only enter the property ID and my primary domain.

Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
If it's set up correctly you should see the ga cookie id appended to the url when the user arrives on gumroad -- you should also be able to look at the source code (perhaps) and see how the code is configured or use gadebug to make sure the clientID stays consistent on both sites.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-debugger/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna...

The last thing you need to make sure you've done is add the sites to the ignored referral in the admin>>property settings>>tracking code. Have you done this?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Thanks for the help so far, much appreciated. Adding the sites to the ignored referral seems to have done something. The GA cookie appears now and the clientID stays the same. Though for some reason, I'm still seeing a drop-off rate on the landing page of 86%. Which seems much higher than I'd expect?

The e-commerce conversion rate for all views is 21.57%. Whereas the conversion rate for paid search is only 0.70%. 

Any advice? 

Thanks