AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking conversions which are not going through a /payment/success page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there,

There is a website, which has plenty of payment methods. Roughly 20-30% of all visitors that made a conversion don't visit a /payment/success page, because it was made either offline (e.g. bank transfer or ATM) or the payment processing doesn't support redirecting back to website after successful payment.

Say there are two methods of tracking conversions:

1. Enhanced Ecommerce.

2. Measurement Protocol.

We can't use the first method because not all conversions visit success page, therefore not all transactions are being passed to GA. Because of the abovementioned trait with payment systems, we have tried second method, which passes transaction data into GA upon its initial payment and it works pretty neat, BUT: almost all transaction sources are tracked as "direct / none" and it's a huge issue. I don't know what is the problem here, but it seems like we don't pass this parameter into GA, which makes sense if it's the case.

That being said, we are looking for a solution to the problem, so if anyone could suggest how can we track all conversions AND sources/mediums with whatever method, even when not all visitors go through a /payment/success page, I'd be really grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

HI, 

1) Maybe you should pass parameters with utm_nooverride = 1. Read more here: http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/91286-Google-Analytics-How-to-Track-PayPal-Transactions

2) Have you added payment providers to referral exclusion list? Plenty of information about it here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Hope it helps a little. 

Seb

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi ,

Apply host name as secondary dimension for each transaction and then add those payment gateway domains into referral exclusion list. 

I did this for my clients shopify website and it worked!

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sura

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

The issue is not about this, I've implemented this long time ago, but thank you for the advice anyway!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for your response, I didn't know about the UTM override, thank you. But the problem is that some of our payment gateways don't allow to redirect user to the success page, therefore we can't track the conversion even if the payment was in fact made. Therefore I'm looking for an option to track both users who are being redirected to success page and users who are not being redirected there (i.e. tracking code doesn't trigger on them). Measurement protocol works wonders, BUT gives us a headache with sources/mediums (over 95% of conversion sources is tracked as direct/none).