Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking conversions through different domains and subdomains

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi all,

I have a problem tracking conversions from different domains.
Here’s the situation:
I have 3 domains, each one with a different GA property:
site.com     (UA-XXXXXXX-1)
site.es         (UA-XXXXXXX-2)
site.ru         (UA-XXXXXXX-3)
and a subdomain
my.site.com (UA-XXXXXXX-1) where the conversions happen.

so, in my goals reports I see source/medium as:
site.com/referral
site.es/referral
site.ru/referral
organic, direct etc.

problem #1. why does it show site.com as referral?
this way I don’t know where the visits came from (organic, ppc etc.)
I have added ‘site.com’ in the referral exclusion list - is this correct? though I still see it in the reports.

problem #2. the same for the 2 other domains.
I have campaigns for these domains and I can’t see how the campaigns perform, as I only see site.es/referral.
Is there a way to pass the info from these domains and see it in the goals reports?
For this, I have enabled cross domain tracking. But still no success.

Can anyone please let me know how to handle this. I am using Google Tag Manager and Universal Analytics.

Thank you!

Regards,
Leo
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking conversions through different domains and subdomains

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Leo,

You don't need to set up cross domain tracking between site.com and my.site.com. If you are using Google Tag Manager you just need to set cookieDomain to auto in the "Fields to Set" section. It's correct that you've added site.com to the referral exclusion list. You still see it in the reports because returning visitors who had site.com set as their source will still have that source set when they return as direct. They will disappear once they reach your campaign timeout set in Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout.

For site.es and site.ru - you cannot set up cross domain tracking because you are using different properties. If you want to track the real source of the conversion I'd suggest you to set up a property that would track all three domains, set up cross domain tracking and add the domains to the referral exclusion list. If you just add site.es and site.ru to the UA-XXXXXXX-1 referral exclusion list the conversions will be attributed as direct. Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Tracking conversions through different domains and subdomains

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Arnold,

Thanks a lot.

I will make the described changes and check the results.
I guess I will start using one property for all the domains, as there's no other solution.

Regards,
Leo