AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking clicks to subdomain without tracking code

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a website (www.xyz.com) which has a link to a subdomain (abc.xyz.com). The sub domain doesn't GA tracking code on it. Is there a way to track the clicks from the website to the subdomain? Please advice on how to set it up.

I have enabled outbound link tracking but the sub domain doesn't register in the events.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking clicks to subdomain without tracking code

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Are you able to provide the url of the page with the outbound link tracking on it?
It often helps with troubleshooting if one of us can look at the page code via browser

Thanks
Bronwyn :-)
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Outbound link tracking is unlikely to work because it is still on the same domain. You need to use event tracking on the links that are taking the users to the subdomain. See below link for GA event tracking instructions.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events#overview

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Syed for the reply. The issue I am facing when trying to implement this is that the link is part of the navigation menu, so I am not sure how or where to put a href link.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply Bronwyn but I am unable to share the url with you. The link is part of the navigation menu and doesn't exist anywhere else on the website.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Are you saying that there is a single link on the main domain to the subdomain and it is in the main nav?
and you just want to track the number of clicks on that link in the main nav of the main site?
thereby giving you the traffic going to the subdomain (which has no GA of its own)?
sounds like a simple 'event' tracking goal is needed
you just go to the GA for the main site and set up a goal to measure those clicks - it should be quite straightforward

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct in your understanding of the situation. However, I am not sure where to put this event tracking code on the website. As the link is in the main nav, I don't know how to put tags on it.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I'd check through the resources from Bronwyn.
But basically if I've given you the what then it's just a case of googling the how there are different ways to do it and you'll need someone comfortable with your Web platform.