Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking across subdomains

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

What's the best way to track across subdomains? Here's the scenario:

Customers on my site can create their own custom site name or subdomain. For example, if John Doe signs up as a customer, they can create their own personal subdomain of: johndoe.mydomain.com. In a sense, subdomains are created dynamically as each new customer signs up and creates their own subdomain.

Once someone signs up as a customer, they have access, or the ability, to sign up for another service that allows them to accept online donations. Should they choose to buy this capability or product, they are taken to a subdomain of: admin.forms.com. It's on this subdomain where customers can purchase this add-on. So basically, customers are moving from their own custom subdomain to admin.forms.com to signup for this service.

The goal is to see how many customers are signing up for this service. Does it make sense to create a new property for admin.forms.com? Or should I use a view or segment?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/insight.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew S
May 2017

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Andrew,

I've described subdomain tracking in this topic: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Code/Cross-Domain-Tracking-outdated-docum...

Andrew, if you'd like to see how many people are moving from one subdomain to another (from johndoe.mydomain.com to admin.mydomain.com), you can simply create an Advanced Segment in Google Analytics and analyze this subset of users.

You shouldn't create a new property. If you're driving those users to another domain (let's say admin.yourdomain.com, then you need to set up cross-domain tracking). It's not needed if you'd like to track users across subdomains.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Taavi

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew S
May 2017

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Andrew,

I've described subdomain tracking in this topic: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Code/Cross-Domain-Tracking-outdated-docum...

Andrew, if you'd like to see how many people are moving from one subdomain to another (from johndoe.mydomain.com to admin.mydomain.com), you can simply create an Advanced Segment in Google Analytics and analyze this subset of users.

You shouldn't create a new property. If you're driving those users to another domain (let's say admin.yourdomain.com, then you need to set up cross-domain tracking). It's not needed if you'd like to track users across subdomains.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Taavi

Re: Tracking across subdomains

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Taavi,

Thanks so much for lending your expertise and answering my question. Very helpful.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You're right. In this case, you'll need to implement cross-domain tracking.

Taavi

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Taavi. Appreciate it.