Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking a piece of text that isn't clickable

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

curious if there's any way to track a piece of text that is not clickable on a website 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

If it's not clickable, in what way are you wanting to track it?
eg when it loads in the page?

when something else is clicked on to make it appear?

Is there a particular type of action that is involved with the text in some way?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

trying to see how many clicks were attempted on a ph# that wasn't actually clickable.  hover-overs is closest I can get 

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Are you able to make the text clickable? You could use Google Optimize (free) to compare the two different versions of the page - the one were the phone number is clickable and one version where it isn't. (Sorry, might be a little off topic but thought it was worth mentioning.)

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jim,

Yes there is. You can add a Google Analytics event call to onclick attribute of the html element of the text. or alternatively, you can bind an eventListener to it.

simple example: <p onclick="ga('send', 'event', 'category', 'action', 'label');">... your text ...</p>

I hope this helps.

Regards