Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking a conversion across multiple subdomains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need to set up a sign up conversion goal. The origin is my marketing site at the root domain. Users are then redirected to the app. subdomain for registration. The goal should be the completed sign up.

Is it possible to create a conversion for this in the root domain GA property whilst the goal completion is on the subdomain?

I've looked at cross domain tracking however will this also bring across page views and artifially inflate the marketing site traffic? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

cross domain tracking is meant to keep your users sessions intact when they go across domains. How you have set up your data gathering dictates if the page views etc. are added to your reports.

If you are using the latest version of the GA tracking code moving from www.domain.com to sub.domain.com should not pose a problem nor require cross domain tracking

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

N/A
# 3
N/A

Thanks. What if the main site and subdomain have different IDs? How is the process done, through events?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You mean you have 2 separate tracking codes?

I think best practice is to use a roll up property:

main site

UA-xxxxxx-1

UA-xxxxxx-3

sub site

UA-xxxxxx-2

UA-xxxxxx-3

Other option would be tracking both with one tracking code and separate the traffic in reporting end

View 1: include only main site

View 2: include only sub site

View 3: all traffic

Best setup for you depends on different things:

What you feel comfortable

How do you want to manage your AdWords linking

Access rights setup

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.