1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Vanity URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have created a Vanity URL for an existing webpage. This vanity URL is being aired on Radio, and therefore does not have a place for a UTM string.We want to track the direct traffic of people typing in the URL that they heard over radio and I am trying to figure out how to add this dimension to an existing campaign, without a UTM string. Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Vanity URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Why not just set up a redirect from the vanity URL? You can even redirect back to itself to include the parameters. That's the easiest way.

As for adding it as a dimension to an existing campaign... not sure what you mean by this. It doesn't really make any sense. What exactly are you trying to add as a dimension to an existing campaign? Can you clarify?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Our drupal website does not allow for a redirect from the Vanity URL to direct to a UTM string as it is creating an infinite loop within the website ( basically redirecting to itself). So to get around this problem I am trying to add a "dimension", or having the Vanity URL to come up as a source under an existing campaign. Is there a simple way to add another source in a campaign other than a UTM string?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ViaSatInc
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
No, this doesn't make sense. It's not a dimension. If you wanted to, you could add a custom dimension and trigger it on your site. You could also use the measurement protocol to send a hit to your account (make sure there's no tracking code on the landing page though).

I still don't really understand why you cannot just use the landing page report or a segment which includes it to track visits and activity from that page. You don't need to implement anything. Google Analytics already lets you track the activity of users who land on a specific page without any additions. Even the user flow report can be drilled down to. This is the approach I'd take. You only mentioned that you wanted to track the traffic to this vanity URL, if you have more complex requirements, this may change.