Analytics
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking User flow via Google OAuth

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a site which requires a google login to use.  To help us track this event, we've put a small redirect page in place when the user clicks the login button, after which they end up on a Google Login form.  After logging in, they land on our account page.  The flow looks like this:

/ -> /login -> accounts.google.com/... -> /account

In the Behavior Flow report, it shows most users dropping off at the login page, as they leave the site, which technically true.  Coming back to our account page appears to start a new session most of the time.  Is it possible to join these two sessions together, so that users who need to log in don't get flagged separately?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Harry K
May 2016

Re: Tracking User flow via Google OAuth

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Harry,

You can add accounts.google.com to your referral exclusion list. To do so please go to Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info -> Referral Exclusion List. This will prevent accounts.google.com from triggering a new session.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Harry K
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Harry,

You can add accounts.google.com to your referral exclusion list. To do so please go to Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info -> Referral Exclusion List. This will prevent accounts.google.com from triggering a new session.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Arnold,

This was exactly what we were looking for!

Kind regards,
Harry

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Arnold, I know this is an old post. I'm asking because i've run into this now.
if I set account.google.com from triggering a new session, will GA still retain the original UTM parameters that the users had and count it as a conversion when the user reaches a conversion page. The user in my case reaches the conversion page after navigating through 4 other pages from the time they used oauth.

And is this also true for facebook  and linkedin oauths? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have tried this referral exclusion list method but then the sign-up counts between Analytics & reality (the website database) did not match up; GA counted less sign-ups compared to the website database.

I set the conversion goal with a URL. When users signing up "manually" or by using Google Accounts, they will end up in that URL goal.