AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking URL clcks on my Home Page

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I'm on a small learning curve with GA.   I have two links on my Home Page that result in the viewer jumping out to other sites.  How can I track the traffic that clicks either of those links?  

I installed the add-on "in-page analytics" and that does not track links on a page. It only tracks clicks of the pages/sub-pages.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking URL clcks on my Home Page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mark,
You can do this quite easily with events either in your page source or in Google Tag Manager. I'd recommend the former if you're still a beginner.
The instructions are here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1136920?hl=en
It works really well and the code is even provided there for you to paste into your site.

Hope that helps.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Once the code is pasted in and published where do I go in GA to report out on the hit rates for the links?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Mark

Sign in to your Google Analytics account.
Navigate to your view.
Select the Reporting tab.
Select Behavior > Events.

You can get some additional information on the anatomy of events and all sorts of other cool info (events are really cool and can do lots of useful things) here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033068?hl=en

Also, while I have your attention, there's a free course by Google called "Digital Analytics Fundamentals" which goes through each of the main reports in a really easy to understand way. It can be found here: https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/explorer

I'd really encourage you to check it out. I take it myself every year or so to refresh my memory. It's really short and gets to the nitty gritty pretty fast. I think you'd benefit a lot from it.

Hope that answers everything for you!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks.. This sounds like some really great advice. I'll check out the course.

Kinda of a diff topic... I cleared out my GA stats by removing and creating a new view. That worked. But now every time I go into GA it tries to load the old view (which it displays with a strike through). When I select the new view (profile) which was suffixed with a #2 then everything works. How can I remove the old profile so that it doesn't try and get loaded every time which generates an error. Sorry that I'm changing topics.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Not at all Smiley Happy
The view is in your trash. Go to the trash and delete it if you don't need it anymore.
You can also set the view to be a default view. But that needs to be set in the property settings
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3467852?hl=en

I'd also encourage you to have a look at the documentation (like what I've linked) in the help center. It's got really amazing information in there and it's laid out well. In fact, pretty much everything I know came from there, the course I mentioned and just plain old playing around inside GA settings.

From the sounds of it, you're going to have a lot more questions as you seem like you're really interested in getting into this in a deeper way (great by the way!) so they should be a good source of answers for you if for some reason your request is urgent.

Anyway, hope that's all ok for you.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dave

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
When I view the view in trash I do not see a purge/delete function. Only a 'restore' button.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mark, the trash can will only allow you to restore that view you previously deleted. As Dave mentioned you will need to set your new view as the default view Admin > Property > Property Settings > Default View dropdown.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Unfortunately that does not fix the problem either. When I launch GA I receive an error message titled "Invalid Schema". It says .... there was an error retrieving the requested dimensions/metrics. ......... Make sure that you are using only supported dimensions and metrics".

When I go to properties pick list I select the property that is "not' red-lined out. Then the problem goes away. The property that is red-lined out is apparently my OLD property which I deleted but it still keeps coming back and haunting me. I deleted the old one and created a new to reset my GA stats to zero. That worked but I now have this other issue. The default view is set to "All Website Data".

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Dave, How do I permanently delete the property. It keeps haunting me and redlined out causing a PITA. I don't wish to waht the 35 days for it to roll off by GA. Thanks