4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Social Media

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My company does a lot of social media marketing. They post their links of their website's paid products on Facebook, Pinterest and send through emails. Is there a way I can track which download was through which platform of referral?
It would be a great help!
Thank You in advance!!

Tracking Social Media

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Monil,

Yes, it's possible. You need to define and configure Goals / Transactions or Events in Google Analytics first. They help you to measure how often users complete specific actions that are important to your business (download for example).

Then you should tag all your Social Media campaigns using UTM parameters. Here you can read more about that.

After that, you can analyze your Acquisition > Source / Medium report and figure out which Social Media Channels and campaigns are performing the best.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Taavi

Tracking Social Media

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Thank you for the reply and help. I had a question for you.
The website I am on has a 2-3 stage buying process (Landing page - Add to cart - continue shop/ checkout) How should I configure a goal for that and how should I track the source of that particular transaction?
Let me know if you need any information from my end.
Thank you once again for the help.
Best,
Monil Shah

Tracking Social Media

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Monil,

You'll need to talk to your developers so that they can help you implement e-commerce tracking on your website if you don't have it installed yet. Then you can start measuring the transactions and you'll see where is your site "leaking money" and what you can improve to get more sales.

If you have configured e-commerce you'll find the traffic source information as well if you go to your Acquisition -> Source / Medium report.

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Re: Tracking Social Media

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @monil s,

In regards to @Taavi Kalvi's response, I agree, you definitely should look into implementing ecommerce tracking tracking in Google Analytics. It will give you granular insights about your transactions, revenue, unique purchases, etc. You will need to consult your development team with this implementation.

In the meantime, you can set up "Goal Conversions" within Analytics to give you at-least some data of which sources or referrals are driving the most conversions. But be mindful, Goal Conversions will only track 1 conversion per session while E-Commerce Tracking can report all the conversions that happened during a session. For example, your "Goal Conversion" is triggered whenever a user lands on your /continue-shop page...and you can assign a monetary value for that conversion. However, if your user were to add multiple quantities in their shopping cart and then navigate to the /continue-shop page, Goal Conversions won't be able to report the multiple quantities....rather it is a static conversion of 1 with a monetary value of $X. I just wanted to highlight that difference in advance.

To setup your conversion funnel in Analytics, navigate to: Admin < View < Goals < + New Goal

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.24.42 AM.png

Here you can setup your goal funnel. Setup the destination goal to your /continue-shopping page. Afterwards, set a monetary value (option) and include your funnel as the following: #1 Name= Landing Page < Screen/Page = yourlandingpageurl.com #2 Name= Add To Cart < Screen/Page= /youraddtocartpage.com

Verify the goal to make sure it is configured properly. If you have received any goals in the past 7 days using this funnel then it will display a conversion rate. If not, re-configure your funnel.

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.32.10 AM.png

Also check out this Google Analytics tutorial video that highlights the advatages of ecommerce tracking and setting up goals in Analtytics: YouTube Tutorial | Lesson 4.4

Let me know if this clarifies your concerns/issues?