Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Payment System Redirects

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I have searched for a bit and haven't found the right article to help me resolve this issue. 

We are using shopify platform to run our online store. When a customer makes a purchase, one of the steps in the path does a quick redirect to checkout.shopify.com to process the payment. So when someone when someone makes a purchase Analytics shows the transaction as referral one. To correct this issue, I add checkout.shopify.com to referral exclusion. 

But now I have a new problem. Analytics is showing those users passing through the payment redirects are now showing as Direct traffic that lands on/checkout/contact_information. So it shows that it is attributing all of our sales as /checkout/contact_information as the landing page. Therefore showing a Direct source for the attribution. 

Anyone knows how can I fix this problem? PLS!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

if shopify does not send you valid traffic you might want to exclude the whole domain to be sure so checkout.shopify.com -> shopify.com

I assume that you have read through this article:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Since there might be other factors in play I would recommend to use that Tag Assistant recording feature to make sure that the session is not split due some other cause.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I already exclude all the traffic from shopify.com as a referred traffic, but the problem of the direct traffic attribution persists. I continue seeing lot of sales from direct traffic that lands on these pages: on/checkout/contact_information, or/checkout/processing, or /checkout/payment, or /checkout/shipping. 

Anyone knows how to solve this? I have to fix it asap, and nor shopify or google analytics support knew how to help me. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

most likely there's something that causes new session to start. And if user pops in to shopify only when payment is processed I do not think that is the root of your problem.

I think we need your URL to get more light to this. If you wish not to share it in public you can find my contact info G+ through my profile.

--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Thanks for your response. The url is www.rocketiaq.com

If you need anything else we can continue on private. 

Thanks again

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I am not so experienced with Shopify tracking settings, not your normal GA code there to debug. And even though it seems to be configured to pass the session I get the main domain as referrer when I enter checkout. So the session brakes up there.

Have you set this up via shopify admin? 

Have you already talked with their help?

I suspect that they have quite a few customers who have this set up and working but if no solution is found do you have a choice to have your own tracking code there?

--