Analytics
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Leads/conversions. And your opinions.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello All,

Thanks ahead of time for helping me with my question.

Ok we had a website hit with a manual action 2+ years ago (before me).  Did EVERYTHING to try to bring it back and nothing.  Took a year and nothing came back.  So I took action and created a simulation website on the .net version of our domain.  I only do work on the .net version (blogs, new content updates, mobile optimization, etc).  Which leads me to a couple questions:

1.  The .com version got a lot of unwanted traffic, which is fine.  But I wanted to create our landing pages that convert on the .net version to hopefully better understand where these leads are coming from.  Now there are a ton of links out there that did not use the UTM tracking, so I have no clue or know what keywords they were brought in by.  I did redirect the .com landing pages to the .net, but this poses a bigger problem because the referring site is the .com.  We are getting good leads, just many I don't know where they are coming from.  What do you suggest doing to know at least the referral sites?

2.  I have read in many many places that having 2 similar sites like this will not hurt ranking with duplicate content.  Which it has not, the .net side has in many ways flourished.  What are your thoughts?

3.   What are your practices to finding which keywords they used to find us, organically? What percentage of your leads do you know what keywords they used?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks again.

Re: Tracking Leads/conversions. And your opinions.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Brett,

I can help you with your first question - you need to utilize cross-domain tracking (here is good tutorial how to do it: http://www.blastam.com/blog/2-steps-cross-domain-tracking-universal-analytics) and add your .com domain to Referral Exclusion LIst in your property. This way GA would not count .com domain as referral. If you already have cross-domain tracking then just add your .com domain to Referral Exclusion List and you're good to go.

Re: Tracking Leads/conversions. And your opinions.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you sir!