2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Instagram ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have instagram ads running and would like to track conversions from those ads to my e-Commerce website. I have Google analytics set up with my Big Cartel e-Commerce site. Is there a way to track which purchases came from those instagram ads using Google Analytics? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Instagram ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Will,

just make sure your ads point to landing pages on your site that include the following parameters:
?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=myinstagramcampaign

where you can change the values cpc and myinstagramcampaign to match your channel and campaign

Once you do that, all clicks from instagram ads that land on your site will capture the campaign info in Google Analytics, allowing you to see campaign performance in Acquisition > Campaigns
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you give me a little insight on how exactly to go about doing that please?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
When you create an instagram ad, the campaign builder asks you where you want people who clicked your ad to go, right?
Something to the effect of
http://www.mysite.com/promo.html

Still sounds about right?
Now to add instagram campaign tracking, in the campaign landing page box, add the parameters I mentioned in my initial response.
The final result should look like:
http://www.mysite.com/promo.html?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=myinstagramcampaig...

When visitors click the ad, they will be taken to the above URL, where campaign tracking happens.
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great! thank you. Where on GA will I go to track data from these parameters?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry you already answered that.

I go to url builder to generate the proper parameters?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
it's pretty much free form so you can enter your own parameters, as long as you understand how they will show in (and possibly disrupt) your standard acquisition reports.

Otherwise, yes, you can use the URL builder at
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

From there you can generate URLs for your campaigns and make sure they are used for landing pages for your ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank for all your help Julien, really!

One last question. Ive set up everything you've instructed so it tracks my campaigns.

I've also turned on e-commerce tracking for my site.

Will the "Ecommerce - Conversion Rate - Transactions" columns on the Aquisisions>Campaigns tab start collecting that data or is there another step i need to take for GA to know when a transaction is made on my site.

Thanks Again!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
For transactions to be registered, you need to add more tracking code that only triggers on the conversion pages (order confirmation page, form submission result page..)

See code examples here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce#transact...