Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking ID and Default setting are out of sync??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I received a message on Google Analytics that says:

The default URL http://seniorbenefitsnetwork.org, for property UA-74380784-1 has no tracking code for this property, although it does have tracking codes for other properties:

• UA-73893019-1

If your Tracking ID and your Default URL setting are out of sync, you don't get valid data in your Analytics account for the Default URL.

Either update the tracking code to use the Tracking ID for property Senior Benefits Network, or open the Property Settings to update the Default URL for property Senior Benefits Network to be http://seniorbenefitsnetwork.org.

I've googled everything I can and still can't seem to figure out what to do. 

Help please! 

Thanks,

Jim

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking ID and Default setting are out of sync??

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You have a Property UA-74380784-1 in your Analytics Account that is setup in the GA interface to track the site http://seniorbenefitsnetwork.org
BUT
the website http://seniorbenefitsnetwork.org has a different tracking code on it for Property UA-73893019-1 instead.

So.. if Property UA-73893019-1 is the correct Property ID.. then you have to make sure the default website url in the Property Settings page for that property is the one for the http://seniorbenefitsnetwork.org site.

If UA-73893019-1 is not the correct Property and is meant to be tracking anotehr site, then you need to change the tracking code on the website to the other Property UA-74380784-1 instead.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Tracking ID and Default setting are out of sync??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've received the same message, apart from the URLs and UA numbers.

Please explain step by step a) how to fix the problem and b) why you'd allow the system to accept two different UAs such that a problem like this would be possible.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Gvz G   :-)
a) how to fix the problem

I have offered an explanation as to how to fix it in my previous post.

b) why you'd allow the system to accept two different UAs such that a problem like this would be possible.
Because ppl can have many different tracking needs.. and do not always need just one tracking code on a one website.
Also user error can sometimes play a part too.. where someone for instance may have more than one website and the wrong tracking code gets put on the wrong site by mistake.. or the wrong website url is entered into analytics.
There are a number of reasons why something like this may occur.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'll have to study - which means Google - your answer to see if I can understand it better. I've been using computers for a long time, but I'm not a programmer; and so unless things like this are clearly explain in what may seem like nauseating detail, I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe it's just me.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Gvz G :-)

1) Log into Google Analytics

click the Admin tab

On the Admin page there are 3 columns ACCOUNT / PROPERTY / VIEW

Select your analytics Account from the first column drop down
Select your website's Property from the 2nd column drop down
Then select the Property Setting page from below the 2nd column drop down
At the top of the Property Setting page is a Tracking ID in a format similar to the following

UA-1235678-1

Make sure this Tracking ID matches the Tracking ID in the analytics tracking code snippet installed on the website pages.

Also make sure on the Property Setting page that the Default URL setting is the correct website url for your website
And check and of the Views for the same Property and that the Website URL entered into each View Settings page is the correct website URL

Go to the Home tab in your account and in the search box at the top right below the date range
Put in the other Tracking ID that was mentioned in the error notification
If there is another Account and Property that belongs to the 'wrong' id
Check in the Property and View settings for it, that the right website url is entered.
Check the the tracking code on the other site website's pages and that it match
the correct Tracking ID for its Property

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn V

thank you for your clear explanation! It was really helpful. 

Cheers

dayah

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

My property IDs have been correct for the past 10 months (in that I was getting data, could verify it, etc.), and when I signed in today, there was a notification that the ID in my code does not match the ID given by Analytics for my site. The only thing I've done to my Google accounts recently is change the password, which apparently has Analytics thinking I'm an impostor, which I'm guessing is the reason for the notification? Unless Analytics changes the property IDs without warning, which seems unlikely. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We had a similar situation whereby the Tracking ID our webmaster used on our site for years is now showing as being out of sync and the Tracking ID in his analytics account is different from the one on our website.  I know he can take the new Tracking ID from his analytics account and put it on our site in place of our old one (thanks to your very clear instructions-thank you!), but is there a way to add the old Tracking ID back into his analytics account?  We are hoping there is data from the past couple of months that we won't lose if we can somehow continue to reference our old Tracking ID.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@John R

does anyone have access to the original GA Account that holds the original GA Property that was tracking the site?

If the GA Account or Property etc was deleted at some stage, and it was over 35 days ago then its not recoverable.

He can try a GA Account recovery, to regain access to a GA Account if it still exists, but its not gaurenteed. More info on how to do an account recovery and the link to required form on the following page.. pls note, it can take 7-10days for a response once the necessary steps have been completed and the form submitted
https://support.google.com/analytics/troubleshooter/7264014#ts=7271146