Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Goals for multiple products with the same funnel URLs except first page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the following set up:

Flow for product 1:

/product1.html 
/a/step1

/a/step2

Flow for product 2:

/product2.html

/a/step1

/a/step2

In other words, the flow of step URLs does not change, only the first step (product1, product2) is different. 

How can I set up a goal to track these flows? When I create a funnel with the first step being Required, it reports the same conversion rates for both products, which is inaccurate.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Tracking Goals for multiple products with the same funnel URLs except first page

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Gene,

The "first step required" only affects the old, funnel visualization report.  If they have the same receipt or thank you page then it's one goal and that's what you would want.  If you wanted you can make the goal regexp and your first step could be ^/product  which would catch everything that started with /product.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theo, my goal is to track conversion rate for each product separately. Right now the current set up treats them as the same product and shows the same conversion rate which is not what I need. 

Would would my set up look like if I wanted to track the conversion rate of each product through each step? I don't know much about regexp and having tried a few things they don't seem to work.

Thank you,

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Gene,

Are you using GTM or is this a normal installation?  How many products?

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Tracking Goals for multiple products with the same funnel URLs except first page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Normal installation, 3 web products

Sent from my iPhone

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Especially if you are using GTM (because it's easier to set up), you could fire a virtual pageview instead of the default URL, and create 3 distinct funnels. Some help here.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Gene,

You have a few options for a normal installation.

1. as @Stéphane Hamel suggests, you could certainly use url renaming or virtual pageviews for this.  Also as he points out, it's more difficult without GTM as you would need a progarammer to add logic to dynamically add values to the GATC (Google Analytics Tracking Code)

more on that here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/pages#modifying_page_urls

Basically what you are doing is changing this line in the GATC  ga('send', 'pageview');
to something like
ga('send', 'pageview', '/name-you-would-like-to-see-in-ga');

or adding the name via the set command

ga('set', 'page', '/name-you-would-like-to-see-in-ga');
ga('send', 'pageview');

2. You could use a parameter on your thank you page e.g. /thank-you?prod=blue-widget

3.  You could use classic Ecommerce https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/ecommerce

Best,

Theo

Edit: prod as the parameter was omitted previously and is now in #2

Connect on LinkedIn