AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Facebook QR code using a redirect from our website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Community,

We have couple of marketing collateral on which we would like to put a QR code that will direct to our Facebook page.

To be able to have accurate tracking, I tried to link the QR code to a page of our webpage (www.ourwebsite.com/facebook), and redirect that page (301 redirect) to our www.facebook.com/ourwebsite. That way I thought I could get the analytics while still doing something useful with the QR code (send to our Facebook page in case the user is in a mood for a "like").

But it seems like GA discards pages that are re-direct ? I read that if the re-direct doesn't happen on the same domain, GA won't count it (but I hoped that maybe a 301 re-direct wouldn't be seen the same way ?).

Is there a way to have GA while linking to a facebook page if my solution is not the proper way to have GA capture data ?

Thanks !

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Facebook QR code using a redirect from our website

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Bertrand,

Analytics tracking is never executed during redirects because there isn't any tracking code on a web page involved.

You might consider to skip the redirect and make the Facebook page on your website kind of landing page with a big button that links users to your actual Facebook page. In this way, the landing page is being tracked as usual.

Be sure to include UTM campaign parameters [1] in your QR-code URL to obtain the information where the user is coming from in that case.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en