Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Facebook QR code using a redirect from our website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Community,

We have couple of marketing collateral on which we would like to put a QR code that will direct to our Facebook page.

To be able to have accurate tracking, I tried to link the QR code to a page of our webpage (www.ourwebsite.com/facebook), and redirect that page (301 redirect) to our www.facebook.com/ourwebsite. That way I thought I could get the analytics while still doing something useful with the QR code (send to our Facebook page in case the user is in a mood for a "like").

But it seems like GA discards pages that are re-direct ? I read that if the re-direct doesn't happen on the same domain, GA won't count it (but I hoped that maybe a 301 re-direct wouldn't be seen the same way ?).

Is there a way to have GA while linking to a facebook page if my solution is not the proper way to have GA capture data ?

Thanks !

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Facebook QR code using a redirect from our website

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Bertrand,

Analytics tracking is never executed during redirects because there isn't any tracking code on a web page involved.

You might consider to skip the redirect and make the Facebook page on your website kind of landing page with a big button that links users to your actual Facebook page. In this way, the landing page is being tracked as usual.

Be sure to include UTM campaign parameters [1] in your QR-code URL to obtain the information where the user is coming from in that case.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en