Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Events in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I want to set up event tracking to view in analytics for a brochure upload.

I have gone through the relevant steps using google URL builder and from the generated URL. I have then shortened it in bit.ly and implemented it on the website as a redirect but it doesn’t seem to be showing up in my google analytics. I am looking for this in behaviour – events – overview. Is this correct and can you suggest any other ideas for it to show?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Emma Pilkington

Using the Campaign URL Builder will not make you able to track events. Event tracking is a separate feature. If you want to track brochure uploads, I'm assuming that you have some kind of form allowing users to submit a file.

If that's the case, then perhaps users are directed to a thank you page upon successful upload. Then you don't need event tracking at all, but should be able to use the All Pages report to see the number of pageviews and unique pageviews for the thank you page.

If your form doesn't have a thank you page (perhaps it's an ajax form) then you should use event tracking. Basically, you would set up a form submission event listener using javascript or Google Tag Manager, and then fire an event. For a non-GTM solution, there's an example here in the GA documentation: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events#outbound_link_and_fo... (the example is for link tracking, but can be used for form tracking with a few javascript adjustments).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Phillip, 

The users will not be uploading the brochures. I have uploaded the brochure to the website and I want to track downloads.

I have been through a step by step guide on how to add event tracking using URL builder and I would like to see this come up in my analytics.

This is the guide I have used https://econsultancy.com/blog/65229-how-to-use-google-analytics-url-builder-to-track-campaigns/ but it doesn't seem to be showing in Behavior-events-overview. Have I done something wrong?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Oh, I see - you only mentioned uploads, not downloads :-)

In case you have a download link on your webpage (i.e. a HTML link that points to, say, a PDF file) then you should use Event tracking and not the Campaign URL Builder. The URL Builder is simply a tool to generate links for use in external sources when driving traffic to your own website.

What you need to do is to add event tracking to your download link. If you're using Google Tag Manager, then follow this excellent post: http://www.simoahava.com/gtm-tips/track-file-downloads-in-gtm-v2/. If you're not using GTM, you should use the approach documented in the link in my previous reply.

In addition you might want to create Goal based on the event you will be creating.

Just to be clear: The URL Builder will not allow you to track file downloads. It's for tracking traffic only and for attribution goal completions to traffic.