Analytics
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Events Behind a Member Wall

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there,

I have an event set up to track PDF downloads. The link to a PDF is ../filename.ashx, which auto starts the download. I can see this working on publically available PDF files. But, when I've logged in to downlad a PDF for members only the event doesn't fire.

I use real time reports and can see myself make my way to the PDF (logged in as a member) link, but the event never shows. Does this not work because of the login requirement?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Events Behind a Member Wall

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, this sounds like a CMS issue. Maybe the links to the PDFs change from the public and private versions, thereby breaking your event tracking?

Note that you can check whether your clicks trigger the event tracking code, using the Tag Assistant for Chrome or Hub'Scan 

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey,

I'll go with Julien on this. It's probably related to your CMS code where it seems to create different link application when users are logged in.

If the theme you're using have support, you should contact them to see if they can help.

One other way you can achieve that is by installing Google Tag Manager on your website, and handling the Events from Tag Manager, and not hard coded on the website. This will give more flexibility and change ability.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for your help so far. I am, in fact, using Google Tag Manager. I will double check that the link doesn't change in any way. It's a custom built CMS so, I'm unsure about the availability of any plug-ins.

I'll let you know how I go!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Definitely check your GTM triggers :-)
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan