Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Effect of a set of pages on Conversion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I was hoping somebody would be able to advise on the best way to achieve what I've described below in GA:

We have a set of guide pages on our site that help inform users on our product and assist them in their buying journey. In June last year we improved the content on these pages. We now want to compare year on year and say 'are these pages doing a better job at converting users into a purchase than they were last year or not'? These pages live in their own unique folder /guide-pages/

The first thing I did was to create a segment with the conditions 'page = /guide-pages/'. I then looked at the conversion rate on the e-commerce report with this segment active. As I understand it, that will tell me what I want to know on a single session view (i.e. did they see one of these guide pages and then purchase in the same session). Have I got that correct?

However, I want to know if these pages have helped users throughout their buying journey across multiple sessions. How would I do this? There is the model comparison report to look at first click vs. last click conversions, but the only segment you can apply to this report is 'what was the users landing page' - not, 'did the user visit one of these pages'.

So I want to see, of users who saw one of these pages at some point during their interactions with the site, what was their conversion rate - and then compare this year on year.

Hopefully that all makes sense. Hopefully someone can assist.

Kind regards, H.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI @james c - 2 things basically.

To determine the value of a page inside a session you can always opt to use the Page Value metric.

On the other hand if you want to get the answer to the question 'of users who saw one of these pages at some point during their interactions with the site, what was their conversion rate - and then compare this year on year' you can just create a custom segment with the setup:

Include Users 

Where Page contains /guide-pages/

This will effectively give you an audience and all sessions of users who in the selected time range had at least one pageview of a page which contains '/guide-pages/'.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zorin,

Thanks for your reply - however the segment suggestion is what I already have in place:

"The first thing I did was to create a segment with the conditions 'page = /guide-pages/'. I then looked at the conversion rate on the e-commerce report with this segment active. As I understand it, that will tell me what I want to know on a single session view (i.e. did they see one of these guide pages and then purchase in the same session). Have I got that correct?"

So I already have this data - however that will only give me the data on a single session view won't it? What I'm after is a multiple session view. So a user views one of these guide pages in their first session and then comes back at a later date and purchases. The second session probably won't contain a view of a guide page, however the guide page had an influence upon their purchase so I want to be able to recognise this. 

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks very much.