6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

All I am trying to do is track how many clicks an email address listed on my Contact page is getting. Google Analytics keeps directing me to make a Goal but first I have to create an Event oh but before that create a Trigger. I know this has to be easier than I am making it but I'm going crazy in circles on how to implement each of these features. HELP!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Clicks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Hannah L,

Let's sort this out together. Are you using GTM? Sounds like you may be as you mentioned using a trigger (or maybe that's just what you had read). To track events via GTM, you need to create a tag that sends in your event data (ie. category, action, label), and then you need to configure a trigger which tells the tag when to fire. The trigger is defined as how you want to track your event, ie. clicks to your email link. So in short that's how it works. What have you tried so far?
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky,

Thank you for reaching out. I am not using GTM currently, just Google Analytics. I guess I did not realize what the difference was. I will have our web admin insert the GTM code into the specific page I want to track the link on and go from there. Will GTM talk to Google Analytics, or in order to get the report I want I will have to check my GTM dashboard?

Thank you,

Hannah

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Hannah, sorry for the late reply.

What you might want to do instead is to just skip using GTM for a single page. GTM is meant to be placed on all pages of your site, so unless you are planning on having all your site's tracking in GTM, then you should probably just use on-page code instead. This will guide you/your developers in setting up the code: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky,

Thank you for this information! I do not have a developer so I am the one having to write the code (without any experience). Could you please look over what I have and tell me if I am doing this right?

function handleOutboundLinkClicks(sales@bluemarblebio.com) {
ga('send', 'event', {
eventCategory: 'Outbound Link',
eventAction: 'click',
eventLabel: sales@bluemarblebio.com.target.href
});
}

I am trying to track how many clicks the 'sales@bluemarblebio.com' gets from our contact page. You can find my website at bluemarblebio.com

Thank you for all of your help!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi, Hannah,

You could try this code and include it near the top of the page or something:

$('a[href*="sales@bluemarblebio.com"]').click(function(){
   ga('send', 'event', 'outbound link', 'click', $(this).text().trim());
})

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky,

You are fantastic! With this automatically populate in my Events section of analytics or where do I go to find the results?

Thanks again!