AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking 3rd party cookies in your Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am admin to both a radio stations site (SITE A) and a client’s site (SITE B). The client would like to see how many people go to SITE A and then eventually SITE B (not referral traffic). Can we lay a tracking cookie on SITE A and make a goal in SITE Bs google analytics to look for this cookie? Can you do that?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike G
January 2016

Re: Tracking 3rd party cookies in your Google Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

That's being done by cross-domain tracking in Analytics. Setup depends on GA version, easiest setup is done with Google Tag Manager [1].

Technically, cross-domain tracking uses the GA first-party cookie content (client ID) being transferred to the second domain via URL and then being stored in the first- party cookie there. In this way, all data is analysed in one common data pot.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106951?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike G
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

That's being done by cross-domain tracking in Analytics. Setup depends on GA version, easiest setup is done with Google Tag Manager [1].

Technically, cross-domain tracking uses the GA first-party cookie content (client ID) being transferred to the second domain via URL and then being stored in the first- party cookie there. In this way, all data is analysed in one common data pot.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106951?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Christoph!

Now I just need to learn how to set this up!

Mike

Tracking 3rd party cookies in your Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I dont think this answers the question, because this only works if the user is linked directly from one site to the other. Is that correct?