Analytics
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking 3rd party cookies in your Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am admin to both a radio stations site (SITE A) and a client’s site (SITE B). The client would like to see how many people go to SITE A and then eventually SITE B (not referral traffic). Can we lay a tracking cookie on SITE A and make a goal in SITE Bs google analytics to look for this cookie? Can you do that?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike G
January 2016

Re: Tracking 3rd party cookies in your Google Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

That's being done by cross-domain tracking in Analytics. Setup depends on GA version, easiest setup is done with Google Tag Manager [1].

Technically, cross-domain tracking uses the GA first-party cookie content (client ID) being transferred to the second domain via URL and then being stored in the first- party cookie there. In this way, all data is analysed in one common data pot.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106951?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike G
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

That's being done by cross-domain tracking in Analytics. Setup depends on GA version, easiest setup is done with Google Tag Manager [1].

Technically, cross-domain tracking uses the GA first-party cookie content (client ID) being transferred to the second domain via URL and then being stored in the first- party cookie there. In this way, all data is analysed in one common data pot.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106951?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Christoph!

Now I just need to learn how to set this up!

Mike