AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Track visitors' path/journey from one specific page to another

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a page that is the end point of a goal, let's call it /product/thank-you.

I can see form the navigation summary of /product (the stage before the product/thank-you completion) that 30% of visits were previously on the /browse page.

I want to see how many people went from /browse to /product to /product-thank-you (so I don't want to set up a new goal with this funnel, as I need data now).

What is the best way of doing this?

I want to see the same for two other pages that visitors were on before they got to /product. Ultimately I want to see if the people who were on these pages before going to /product were also the same ones ending up on /product/thank-you - or how many ended up there.

This is quite specific so I can't see so far that behaviour flow can help...?

Thanks in advance

Steph

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephanie P
January 2016

Re: Track visitors' path/journey from one specific page to another

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Sorry...too many assumptions...

Top of the reporting interface, click on [+ Add Segment]
Enter a Segment Name.
At the bottom of the left side, select 'Sequences'.
Now you get to build the segment definition. Step 1, 2, 3 etc. I assume you would want:
Include > Sessions > any user inetraction
STEP 1 Page contains (or exactly matches) <enter the first page in your sequence>
STEP 2 Page contains (or exactly matches) <enter the next page in your sequence>
etc.

In any report (almost), you cna click on All Sessions at the top, select the new segment you just defined and see only the traffic that matches your sequences.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Steph,

Did you check the Reverse Goal Path report under Conversions -> Goals? It displays the three previous steps before the goal completion.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I did, but this is not exactly what I need, as I have to do a lot of manual adding.
For example, the goal completion location is /product/thank-you. Goal previous step 1 is /product. Goal previous step 2 is /browse. Great - but then goal previous step 3 could be / , or it could be /shop. There are lots of different ways that someone ended up on /browse, /product and then /product/thank-you. I'm actually only interested as far back as goal step 2 in this scenario, but because step 3 could be different, these is all separated out into different lines on this part of GA. Does that make sense? I just want one overall number, I don't want to have to be like ok add up the amount of people that got to /browse from the home page, the amount that got there from /shop, etc etc until I have covered all the ways people completed the goal through the above mentioned funnel.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Explore the capabilities of a custom segment. Down at the bottom you can select 'Sequences' in which you can define the page-by-page flow you want. You have the choice with the first step to make it the 'first user interaction' or 'any user interaction' -- in your case, I think you would want 'any'.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike, down at the bottom of where, sorry?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephanie P
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Sorry...too many assumptions...

Top of the reporting interface, click on [+ Add Segment]
Enter a Segment Name.
At the bottom of the left side, select 'Sequences'.
Now you get to build the segment definition. Step 1, 2, 3 etc. I assume you would want:
Include > Sessions > any user inetraction
STEP 1 Page contains (or exactly matches) <enter the first page in your sequence>
STEP 2 Page contains (or exactly matches) <enter the next page in your sequence>
etc.

In any report (almost), you cna click on All Sessions at the top, select the new segment you just defined and see only the traffic that matches your sequences.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Fantastic, thanks so much! Been wanting to segment in this way for ages, just didn't know how to and didn't know where to start!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I am looking to generate a page flow report for our blog - to try and understand how many people are coming to the blog from our main site and where they go next - deeper into the blog, back to the main site or exit. I am not sure that I can do this using the method suggested here as there are a variety of journeys and I don't know already where people are going.

Can you edit the behaviour flow to start from the blog page instead of main landing pages? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Investigate using Page Groupings -- define a page group that encompasses your blog pages. That will allow you to see how many visitors transition between page groups. Be prepared to read a lot -- it is not a simple process and can easily be messed up.