Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Track downloading a file from an url from the menu in joomla in Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ich would like to realize a tracking of downloads of an specific file from my joomla website https://seoboxx.com ... for example for the websitespider product i created a button with a link and the google analytics event ion it ... that works great .... but now i want to integrate that in my joomla menu also ... 

any idea how to do that ?

Regards,

Andreas

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Track downloading a file from an url from the menu in joomla in Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
First suggestion - zip the exe file. One of the browsers has a problem tracking events when its an exe file - unfortunately i cannot remember which browser it is. Zipping it does resolve the issue though. Also sometimes AV programs will block a website or automatically quarantine exe files when trying to download via browser.

You should be able to do this with a bit of jquery placed before the closing </body> tag in your footer template

Probably more elegant ways to do this however the following should work.

- swap out category, action, label for your own applicable category, action and label

<script>
// Using jQuery Event API v1.3
jQuery('#menu387').on('click', function() {
ga('send', 'event', 'category', 'action', 'label');
});
</script>

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Track downloading a file from an url from the menu in joomla in Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

first thank you very much for your reply ...

Zipping the exe file might be a problem because the customers directly want to download a installer without unzipping it or stuff like that ... but maybe i will find another solution for the exe file like licensing or something like this ...

Regarding the integration of the script i think it will not work in a constellation with joomla because ... but i will investigate on that ... i thought about calling a script wich starts the download an sends a GA event ?