AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Track ctr from external website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I have a challenge and hope you can help me with it.

In content/articles on other websites, that I don't own but know the owner of the website, I have several links to my website.

I would like to know the CTR of the content/articles from the external website. And also want insight on what goal was achieved via the content/articles.

Google Analytics is the current tool I use and don't use Google Adwords for this website.

What would be the best way to handle this? 

Kind regards, Chris

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Track ctr from external website

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

test this first:
Go to Acquisition-> All traffic -> Referrals.
Find the site where your articles are and click that link.
If the URL contains the name of the article you should see the information you want.
Right-most group of columns Conversions contains drop down where you can switch goal or see all conversions.
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Antti,

Thanks for you quick answer. The problem is that I would like to know the CTR of the article on the other website. This can only be done if I know how many visits the article has. May a tracking pixel or something like that. Hope you can help me with this.

Chris

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
quick but too hasty Smiley Happy missed your goal.

yes, you need to track your articles and since you know the owner you could settle a way to track those visits...

Does the owner have GA implemented? Does your articles have a common nominator in URL?
if yes the owner could make a segment and schedule that report to daily/weekly basis.

other choice would be to create a view just for you where visits of those articles would be included while excluding the rest.

let me know how good friends are you and lets work out a solution Smiley Happy
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Antti,

There are different websites, systems and owners. It is almost impossible to ask for reports are rights to there systems. I was hoping with a tracking pixel on there articles I could measure the views of the article myself.

Any ideas?

Kind regards, Chris

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Well if you can be sure that your HTML is published unedited you could insert pixel there. I have a strong gut feeling though that this would most likely violate some if not rules then ethics...
--