Analytics
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Track a single PDF download as a goal

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

OK, so I have tracking set up to track all PDF downloads as an Event. Now, I want to track one particular PDF as a goal.

I set up a goal as an Event, I've given it a name and set the Action and Label (initially) as a regex .* in both fields. I then confirmed that all PDFs were tracking as a goal. The action was the URL of the PDF and the label was the URL where the download was initiated from.

Then, I changed the action, using regex to the filename - thisismypdf.pdf - the goal is not firing.

I also tested this set-up in the report to be sure it picked up the filename.

Any ideas?

Appreciate the help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Track a single PDF download as a goal

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Help P,

Tell us sample event-category/action/label values and what exactly you've been trying as regex in the goal definition.

Christoph

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks,

1st set-up that tracks all PDFs as expected:
Category = PDF Download
Action = .*
Label = .*

2nd set-up to try and track one PDF:
Category = PDF Download
Action = thisismypdf.pdf
Label = .*

Also tried:

Category = PDF Download
Action = .*thisismypdf.pdf
Label = .*

And:

Category = PDF Download
Action = .http://www.domian.com/thisismypdf.pdf
Label = .*

???

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Christoph,

Info is above, any ideas?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Help,

The point is: It doesn't matter what the actual URL of your PDF document is. What is the corresponding Analytics event action as seen in Behavior > Events reports? Could be the actual URL but also everything else. That event value has to be inserted in the goal definition with 'Action equals to'. Event-label and event-value fields can be left empty - no .* required.

Christoph

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Christoph,

The action is the URL of the PDFs. I tried Equals to with full URL, part URL - clearly I'm doing something wrong ;(

I think I'm going for the virtual page view/destination URL option.

Cheers