AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Track a single PDF download as a goal

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

OK, so I have tracking set up to track all PDF downloads as an Event. Now, I want to track one particular PDF as a goal.

I set up a goal as an Event, I've given it a name and set the Action and Label (initially) as a regex .* in both fields. I then confirmed that all PDFs were tracking as a goal. The action was the URL of the PDF and the label was the URL where the download was initiated from.

Then, I changed the action, using regex to the filename - thisismypdf.pdf - the goal is not firing.

I also tested this set-up in the report to be sure it picked up the filename.

Any ideas?

Appreciate the help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Track a single PDF download as a goal

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Help P,

Tell us sample event-category/action/label values and what exactly you've been trying as regex in the goal definition.

Christoph

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks,

1st set-up that tracks all PDFs as expected:
Category = PDF Download
Action = .*
Label = .*

2nd set-up to try and track one PDF:
Category = PDF Download
Action = thisismypdf.pdf
Label = .*

Also tried:

Category = PDF Download
Action = .*thisismypdf.pdf
Label = .*

And:

Category = PDF Download
Action = .http://www.domian.com/thisismypdf.pdf
Label = .*

???

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Christoph,

Info is above, any ideas?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Help,

The point is: It doesn't matter what the actual URL of your PDF document is. What is the corresponding Analytics event action as seen in Behavior > Events reports? Could be the actual URL but also everything else. That event value has to be inserted in the goal definition with 'Action equals to'. Event-label and event-value fields can be left empty - no .* required.

Christoph

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Christoph,

The action is the URL of the PDFs. I tried Equals to with full URL, part URL - clearly I'm doing something wrong ;(

I think I'm going for the virtual page view/destination URL option.

Cheers