AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Track Referrals to another URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

Is there a way to capture the IP addresses of anyone who clicks on a specific link in our website? 

We are a referral source to a business partner.  We get commission for business they get from people who reach their site from our site.  The link on our site goes to a specific landing page on their site so they can track the referrals.  But we have no means currently to track it on our side.   Does anyone know of a way we can track it on our side?

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

IP is classed as PII (Personally Identifiable Information), hence not allowed under the ToS.

Do you really need IP for this purpose? Shout if I'm wrong, but you want to track referrals to your partner's site. Is that correct? Why don't you track the link(s) in question with Event tracking? By doing so you'll have total and unique counts of referrals, plus you can set up event-based goals.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1136960?hl=en

Let us know if the above helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your response!  I was hoping to get a unique identifier that our partner would also have so there would be a record of the referral that actually did business with our partner, not just landed on their website.  A count of people who clicked on the link is not sufficient. 

Can you think of a way to do that - that's allowed?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Not sure if an option, but if you want to implement cross-domain tracking you can preserve the GA cookie ID, store if in a custom dimension and use it as reference.