Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Total Number of Goal Completions is Showing Wrong

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

Actually, total number of Goal Completions for each of the Goal completion Location should be 1. Instead of 1 it is showing as 2 for the some of the Goal Completion Locations. Kindly, check the below data for your reference. Can, anybody help me with this?

Goal Completions Location                                                                   Goal Completion

/pages/confirmation?pid=5pmdSg92
/pages/confirmation?pid=IrZa35L2
/pages/confirmation?pid=02TlZiU1
/pages/confirmation?pid=0qPWu121
/pages/confirmation?pid=132KrfO1

You can see from the above data some of the Goal Location has 2 Goal Completion instead of 1.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Total Number of Goal Completions is Showing Wrong

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi SPrabhu f,

How many goals do you have configured. The completion location could have fired two goals.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Theo,

I have configured 3 goals. The goal completion locations is not firing 2 or 3 goals on all the goal completions. In some of the cases it is firing more than 1. So, I just want to know why does this happens and how to troubleshoot this?

Cheers

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi SPrabhu f,

There are a couple of possibilites. The goal completion location matches more than one goal pattern. Or you have an event based or engagement based goal that happens to occur on that same page. Lastly, you could have had more than one conversion on that page, e.g. someone completed the goal; bookmarked the page and came back in a new session.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Theo,

What do you meant by this "The goal completion location matches more than one goal pattern."

Cheers

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
SPrabhu f,

Something like this: Two Destination goals configured. 1. for contains /pages/confirmation 2nd for contains pages/confirmation?pid=

A session that made it to /pages/confirmation?pid=x would match both patterns and would counts as two for the goal completion location of /pages/confirmation?pid=x

Same would happen if you had an engagement goal of (for example) 10 pages per session where /pages/confirmation?pid=x was the 10th page.

-Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Theo,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I understood what you are telling. How can I avoid firing 2 goals for 1 goal location?

All my goal destination dynamic URL's are in this format /pages/confirmation?pid= but I have set goal destination like this in Google analytics /pages/confirmation (selected begins with option).

So, if I set goal destination as /pages/confirmation?pid= can I avoid this problem?

Cheers

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi SPrabhu f

No. If you only have one goal that matches that pattern and are not firing event based goals and are not using engagement goals then the only way you are getting more than one goal conversion per location is someone viewing the page in more than one session.

GA goals only accrue once per session so if you are not firing more than one goal (for any reason) on a page then the only possible explanation is that someone is coming back to that page in another session. This could be either through a bookmark or history or just saving the link.

The only way around this is to not serve the page in another session which is usually done by looking for a session based cookie and not serving the same page again.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Theo,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Hope this helps me.

Cheers

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hi SPrabhu f,

You're welcome.

Cheers,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn