AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Third party GA tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We use a third party tool for booking appointments. People come to my site and then go to the other site booker.com to finish a purchase or book services.  Booker system has a configuration for GA tracking ID. 

My goals are working for thankyou.asx but or all starts from swayspa.com / referral. I need to find where are people coming from and landing to my site and then converting on booker site. I have added GA script on my site as well 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Third party GA tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

you need to use cross-domain tracking in order to pass the session information from your site to booker.com.

I checked booker.com end and they are using older version of GA. So in order for cross-domain tracking to work you need to downgrade your GA tracking code (unless you get booker.com to upgrade theirs)

then you need to alter your tracking code as described:
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingSite#multipleDomains
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot!  Can you please help me understand how do I downgrade?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

I must have been mixed your source code with someones else. So no actual downgrade is needed, which is great! However you need to change few things in order to get the tracking working:
1)
This should be changed in your site but also booking.com end:
_gaq.push(['_setDomain', 'swayspa.com']);

So 'auto' changed to 'swayspa.com' on both sites.

2)
All the links that lead to booking should have this (xxxxxxx neds to be dynamically generated to match the id in the link):
onclick="_gaq.push(['_link', 'http://www.swayspa.com/appointments?ID=xxxxxxx']); return false;">

<a href="http://www.swayspa.com/appointments?ID=2112222" target="_blank" class="book_now" onclick="_gaq.push(['_link', 'http://www.swayspa.com/appointments?ID=2112222']); return false;">
>Book Now</a>

But I noticed a problem: from appointments?ID=xxxxxxxx user gets redirected to
https://www.secure-booker.com/swayspa/MakeAppointment/Search.aspx and the query parameter that GA uses to pass the session information is most likely dropped out... The URL should look something like:
https://www.secure-booker.com/swayspa/MakeAppointment/Search.aspx?ga=1.275629485...
in order to session to pass from your domain to booking service.

Now there are 2 choices:
1) You need to get direct URLs for booking system so that the appointment is shown to the user. Now it is handled somewhere in the background

2) You need to define the redirect to preserve query parameters (I'm not 100% sure if they get generated since the link is initially to the same domain)
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again! I wish booker folks were as responsive as you.

Yesterday I did change my code to us ga.js. What booker has on their side can't be changed. They are very slow and don't care about clients. With that said, if booker can't change their code, is there anything I can do at all on my side? If they can't _gaq.push(['_setDomain', 'auto']); to say _gaq.push(['_setDomain', 'swayspa.com']); this just won't work, right?

I will stop spending effort on this based on your answer as we can't get booker to change anything :-(

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Great that I'm not just getting senile just yet.
Boo for poor customer support.

If you are stuck with them and cannot get anything changed from their end, there are one more option.
It is a bit hacky and does not correct your current problem of inflated visitor statistics (ones that go to booking are counted twice) but at least it would give you some idea that where the bookers come from.

This however requires also that something is done to that redirect... Is it something that is in your control or is it Bookers procedure? Meaning the transition from your site with appointmentID to booker.com
--

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yay! You made my day!

Yes I can control what to pass to swayspa.com/appointments and then what to pass to booker site. Initially swayspa.com/appointments had an iframe to booker site but they broke something so I am just redirecting. If it helps I can redirect from swayspa.com but I rather keep swayspa.com/appointments when they fix their iframe issue.

I am OK with inflated count as long as my goals show where the conversions are coming from.

Truly appreciate your help!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Ok, this is a bit hacky and I'm not 100% sure that this is the best way to do it:

1) You need to capture the traffic source data: GA stores it to the __utmz cookie, here's some background info:
It requires some coding to extract the necessary info.

2) Pass the information using utm parameters for campaign tracking:
https://www.secure-booker.com/swayspa/MakeAppointment/Search.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organ...

extra note: I would transfer booker.com tracking t another view (UA-xxxxxx-2) This way you could avoid counting visitors twice to your main site tracking.

Let me know if you get stuck with the coding part or let me know what happened when you got testing it.
--

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hmm,

for some reason that link is was not approved, but if you Google Anatomy of Google Analytics cookies
you should find detailed info about values that are stored in the cookie
--

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your help! May be I should hire a developer to get this done? Not sure I understand where to go from here.