AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Thank you page is showing as entrance in Reverse Goal Path

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having a problem with my thank you pages showing up as the "entrance" in the Reverse Goal Path of the Google Analytics platform.

Here is what it looks like:

Reverse_Goal_Path_-_Google_Analytics.png

I have verified that it is impossible for people to land on the thank you page. The URL's are absolutely not public anywhere. 

It looks as if it's double counting these goals. It counts them properly with all of the necessary steps, but it counts them a second time with the thank you page as an entrance. Any insight on why this is happening would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Re: Thank you page is showing as entrance in Reverse Goal Path

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

is the step before the thank you page another domain (e.g. a payment service) and that other domain not included in your referral exclusion list? In that case, the users start a new (second) session (see https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en).

Bye. nils

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nils,

Thank you for your reply. I think you're on to something here!

My landing page has a form on it which is embedded in the page through an HTML iframe. The form is hosted through a marketing platform called Act-On. The forms are all still technically hosted on my domain since we have a CNAME setup for the Act-On platform which is "content.mydomain.com". The form is set to send the traffic to my thank you page after the form is submitted. But if you watch the address bar closely it doesn't go directly from my landing page to thank you page. It goes to content.mydomain.com for a split second, which I believe doesn't have my Google Analytics tracking code on it. I think that is the problem right there!

So if I add "content.mydomain.com" to me referral exclusion list, do you believe that it will solve this problem for me?

Thanks,
Grayson

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Grayson,

I'm not an expert in referral exclusion lists, but yes, I would try this. Otherwise I'm sorry, but I have no other idea why you have (entrance) as a previous step in your reports.

Bye. Nils.