Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Subdomain Tracking as referral traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've searched about this specific issue and read GA docs but am unable to get some clarity on this issue.

I have two sites: www.example.com and campaign.example.com.

I have set these two up as two separate sites on GA so that I can track them separately. Specifically, I wanted to track the number of visits to www.example.com fromcampaign.example.com - there are links in the campaign site that will lead the user to the main site.

So both these have separate tracking codes in GA.

But interestingly, in my www.example.com I don't see any referral traffic from campaign.example.com.

Anyone can shed some light on what I am doing wrong here?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Subdomain Tracking as referral traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Srinivasan,

did you set up your domain in referral exclusions in property > tracking info? If so, you may want to remove it there.

Otherwise, is there a transition from HTTPS to HTTP when a user comes across the domains?

Or is there a redirect on the linked page on www?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Christoph.

Yes, my domain is part of the referral exclusions.

What is stumping me is that there are other subdomains that are being reported but not mine.
hello.example.com, world.example.com etc. all appear in the referral report but the newly created campaign.example.com does not.

The only difference is that hello and world both use the same tracking code as example.com whereas campaign.example.com uses a separate tracking code.

Btw, I am doing this for a client and do not have too much access into their setup...quite frustrating.
Also, I am new to GA Smiley Happy

Some more pointers, the client has moved from GA to Universal Analytics recently.
I wonder if there is some custom coding that they might have done to the main www.example.com site.

Any pointers?

Many thanks!!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Srini J
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Srinivasan,

try to remove your domain for the exclusion list for your purpose. It's indeed a feature of Universal Analytics only, which might raise the difference in behavior compared to ga.js.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Are there specific instructions if you are transitioning from HTTP to HTTPS?