AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Spaces in goal destination URLs

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I have a site that has spaces in the destination URL. When I'm setting up goals in Google Analytics, do I need to include %20 wherever there is spaces, or will Google Analytics automatically pick that up?

Ideally, I should just insert a hyphen where the space is, but my developer wanted me to ask here first.

Your feedback and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Spaces in goal destination URLs

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bryan,

I recommend using a regular expression match type. It's a safe bet.

To create a white space in a regular expression, just use the white space or "." (dot). A dot matches any character. It’s like a wildcard.

I recommend testing these destination URLs first using this amazing regex tool to make sure that they work properly: http://www.analyticsmarket.com/freetools/regex-tester

If you're still not 100% sure, you can easily create a test view in Google Analytics and test it out first and then implement it on your master view later on.

Hope this helps. @Bryan S let us know if you have any question.

Taavi