AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Source of new signups via google account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've set up a sign up goal to my website using any method (direct, facebook, google) 
the problem is when a user signing up using his google account, in source report it shows that the source is accounts.google.com so I can't know the main source of traffic . about 50% of new signups daily are via google account , how can I get the main source of user ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Source of new signups via google account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Go to Admin > Property > Tracking info > Referral Exclusion List and from there add accounts.google.com as new exclusion 

Screenshot 2016-10-13 09.10.24.png

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I already did that , does this return main source ? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This should make accounts.google.com act as direct traffic and therefore count the original traffic source as conversion source

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have tried this referral exclusion method but the number of sign-ups did not match up between Google Analytics and the website database (GA got less sign-up conversion then the reality). So it seems that when we exclude accounts.google.com, any sign up from it will not be counted as conversion.