5.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Source / Medium

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have recently upgraded our website, however our analytics has not been working correctly since. It is recording all transaction albeit with a slight delay, however the source/medium is incorrect. It say's that all our conversions are from Facebook, e.g. 5 Facebook conversions from 0 sessions. We know that this is not the case as we only sell via organic or paid listings.

Thanks

Mo

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Source / Medium

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Mo,

It's hard to say from the information you've shared here. That said you need to understand that campaign data is sticky. If you ever did anything in Facebook and these visitors return regularly from bookmark or typing in your URL, then they will always be facebook as the source (direct never overwrites anything else). Someone also could have shared your info on facebook.

I would wait for more data to collect and perhaps do some tests with UTM params to make sure you are getting proper attribution. Tag Assistant could be helpful.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo

There's an anomaly somewhere.  Prior to the upgrade our Analytics was working fine our conversions were always Direct, Organic, Paid or via Email...very rarely would we have anything else. i.e. Facebook, Pinterest etc as we are yet to begin our social media campaign.   During the last 10 days it says that all conversions are coming from Facebook even though there is a huge disparity between the number of orders and sessions. We had sent out an email campaign last weekend and we did have some conversions but again it credits Facebook as the source.

We did make a slight change to our analytics code recently, The tag assistant highlighted that some of the code was outside of the text however the issue still remains. We've paused our PPC campaign for the time being because we need to be able to measure the efficacy of our operations.

Thanks

Mo

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Mo,

If you've modified the cookie domain and or are sending traffic to a new property all of your sources are going to reset and all of your visitors will initally be new.

Use UTM params and walk through using GA DEBUG

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-debugger/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna...

and Tag Assistant recordings and walk through step by step and see what happens in realtime and in Tag Assistant and the console. Look to see if new sessions are triggered.

If you're using GTM, deploy a classic version of GA with a different property as this will let you see the campaign params / values in debug.

You'll have to do testing to get to the bottom of it as GA does not arbitrarily attribute traffic to Facebook.

Good luck!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn