2.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Source/Medium Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello GA community,

on one of our client we are facing following issue:

For better understanding from where our traffic and conversions come we created new medium / source category "google / products" - under which we can find all Merchant center PLA. We setup a proper filter in View and start to track new acquisition channels distribution.

After few months we take a look on results and discover quite odd outcome: When we created segment for all newcomers from "google / product" and took a look on traffic in report "Source / medium" throught this segment view, we can see that sessions were assigned under "google / product"... but transactions and revenue were put under "google / cpc". 

Google-product.PNG 

Could you tell us, where could be a problem and how to fix this issue?

Thanks very much for any opinion!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Source/Medium Issues

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Vit,

You have a conflict between your manually tagged parameters and the GCLID.

In the property settings>> advanced settings you can all utm values to override the gclid.   alternatively you could use medium of cpc and pass pla into the utm_content field or append your campaings with PLA.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Source/Medium Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Theo,

thanks very much for reply, we will test your hypothesis in this week.Smiley Happy

Unfortunately we think this problem lies somewhere deeper than in utm parameters. That's because we have similiar issues with sessions/transactions assignment on between custom medium image and predefined organic as you can see in printscreen below. Change in settings with GCLID won't have any effect on organic transactions. Maybe there could be the problem with different way how GA process visitors attributes in classis hits and ecommerce hits (i.e.: filters will apply only for classic hits, but for ecommerce won't?)

Výstřižek.PNG 

Source/Medium Issues

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Vit,

You lost me on that one.  I see the medium "image" here but don't follow what you are saying.  Are you expecting that to be grouped in Organic?  Where are the "image" links originating?  

RE the first issue in your original post, I think you'll be all set.  My recommendation is to actually change your utm params so that you're not in conflict with what GA is expecting.  That said, if your set on them; you can use the override selector.  You should also create a custom channel definition and add pla to your paid definition should you keep your existing parameters.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Source/Medium Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Theo,

actually, we expect transactions and revenue that are now all attributed to organic to be distributed over image medium. 

Maybe a little bit of insight what we want to get and what we set up to achieve this:

we want to see have detailed view from where traffic, and conversions come. Therefore, we created 2 filters in Admin => view settings: 1st for PLAs (for PLAs filter replaces medium from cpc to "products"), 2nd for images.google.com (our filter replaces medium from organic to :image").

traffic is ok, but transactions and revenue seem to be still assigned to original medium, strange.

Is this explanation better?

We don't think that problem would be in parameters, because filters should take care of them, but we are not sure, we will test it.

Thank you for your help and interest, we appreciate it.Smiley Happy

Best

V