2.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Smart Goals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

To anyone who has used Smart Goals with ecommerce conversions,

Does it have the ability to track the value of the sales completed in the shopping cart? Or does it just track the amount of conversions. 

Thanks!

Re: Smart Goals

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Michael,

I haven't used smart goals yet so I cannot provide you with a 100% detailed answer, but, as far as I understand from the GA support docs, smart goals don't track actual conversions. They just examine all of your sessions to determine, via a machine learning algorithm, which sessions are most likely to result in a conversion.

In other words, they provide you with a probabilistic estimate of the sessions with conversions, not with an actual conversion tracking.

They are useful if you can't implement conversion tracking on your website for whatever reasons, but you still need to optimize your marketing actions (e.g. optimize your AdWords campaigns): even without a normal conversion tracking in place, with smart goals you still have a means that allow you to take optimization decisions.

In fact, from the GA support on Smart Goals, https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6153083?hl=en:

"Measuring explicit conversions, using either AdWords Conversion Tracking or imported Analytics Ecommerce transactions, is the best way to optimize your bids, your ads, and your website. However, if you aren't yet measuring conversions, Smart Goals is an easy way to use your best visits as conversions. You can then use Smart Goals to optimize your AdWords performance."

and

" Smart Goals uses machine learning to examine dozens of signals about your website visits to determine which of those are most likely to result in a conversion. Each visit is assigned a score, with the "best" visits being translated into Smart Goals. Some examples of the signals included in the Smart Goals model are Session duration, Pages per session, Location, Device and Browser. (Remarketing Smart Lists use a similar machine learning model to identify your best users.)"

Hope it helps.

Best,
Gabriele

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gabriele-rapino-b8769a21