Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Simple tracking of Click to Call buttons

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone!

In my website, I have simple click-to-call buttons created with the HTML code <a href="tel://+17063707305"><span style="color: black;">+1 (706) 370-7305</span></a>

I want to be able to track on Google Analytics (already setup and perfectly working) people clicking them on my website.

I read many articles online on how to do that and I'm quite confused. Someone says that GA automatically tracks them under the "Events" section, but I cannot see them in the Event section even though I personally clicked the buttons many times to test the event.

Someone else says I have to start creating a Javascript.

Can someone please give me a clear and simple path I have to follow to track them?

Thank you in advance!

Antonio

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey, 

do you have hardcoded Analytics on your Page? 
Then you can find your answer here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

Bascially you need to add an Event to your Phone Number links. 

Running Tag Manager? Here are instructions on how to track outgoing links:
https://www.simoahava.com/gtm-tips/track-outbound-links-in-gtm-v2/

GTM sees phone links like a normal link were the click url is the Phone Number. So you might need a little tweek in the Trigger. 

Click Url -> begins with -> tel:  (in most cases)

best regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Marc,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I have Google Tag Manager and I've set it up for creating and tracking the Click Url.

The only doubt I have is: when creating the Tag, I have to put something in the field "Label" (which, if I were to track www.example.com/track.html, would be "track").

My doubt is if I'm supposed to insert   tel://+17063707305    in that field.

Thank you

Antonio

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Antonio, 

Event Category, Action and Label are just the way the data Shows up in your Google Analytics. So the question here is just what information do you want to know?
Do you want to know what page the phone number was clicked? Then put in the {{Page Path}} of the page.
Do you want to know wich number was clicked? Then Put in the {{Click URL}} wich should be the Number.

You could also just leave it empty. Whatever way you like.

Best regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok Marc,

Everything is set up, but my GA doesn't show any event in the "event" section although the tracking ID is set up in GTM and in the tag I created.

Where can I start finding the culprit? The tracking ID is right, it's not a mistake in copying and pasting it.

Thanks

Antonio

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Do you see the Tag firing in GTM Preview Mode when you click on the phone Number? 

If yes, and you are sure the ID is correct there is probably some Filter in your Google Analytics blocking the Event hit. You should check all filters set in your account.

Try using Google Tag Assistant Chrome Plug-In Recording and see what this tells you. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would recommend you create and install Google Tag Manager on your website. Once installed you could create a linkclick event based on an href containing "tel:".

Here is more complex guide that will walk through setup:

http://mediacause.org/track-button-clicks-google-tag-manager/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was able to create a Google forwarding number that I can track through my Adwords campaign. Should I follow anyway the procedure you indicated in the link to track "organic" click on calls?