AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Shopify Ecommerce Transactions All Showing As New Sessions, Cross Domain Doable?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a new shopify store and trying to validate that our data & implementation are correct. It is a normal shopify flow with users flowing from our store domain to the checkout.shopify.com domain to complete the checkout.  We've got ecommerce enabled, are seeing transactions show up, and have checkout.shopify.com (among others) on our referral exclusion list.  

Problem is we're seeing all the ecommerce transactions being counted as new sessions that start when the user moves from our site to the secondary shopify domain.  So it shows the landing page as one of the checkout pages, the hostname is checkout.shopify.com.  

This means we aren't able to know data about their on-site behavior prior to the checkout since those are being counted as a different visit.  It also is probably inflating our total session count inaccurately.  All the attribution model data is attributing to direct/none.   Basically it reports a transaction, but we don't have any of the other valuable data about what created that sale.  

I'm leaning towards it simply being a cross domain tracking issue, however we aren't able to edit the GA code on the secondary shopify domain to include the cross domain bits, as the implementation is just putting the UA-ID into the shopify dashboard and letting them generate the code sitewide.  So the fix that would get to the root of the problem appear to not be doable on shopify.  

I'm having a hard time believing this is the case though, since this is literally the MOST basic ecommerce implementation we could do on shopify and surely we aren't the first to run into this. Anyone been able to solve for this?  
Thanks! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Shopify Ecommerce Transactions All Showing As New Sessions, Cross Domain Doable?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Have you set your own website up for crossdomain tracking (autolinker)?

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply Mike.  

No we haven't been able to add the autolinker code edits.  According to shopify support that isn't possible since we don't have the ability to edit/generate different code on the secondary checkout domain.  

The hurdle appears to be that the autolinker code is what is needed, but apparently can't be added to shopify.  

Are there other ways to get that autolinker code implemented without having access to edit the code of those secondary checkout domain pages? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It needs to be added to the site that links to shopify, not to the shop of your site itself.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.