Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Shared funnel steps, have same goal conversion %

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have forms that shared pages with eachother. I checked the goal conversion % and two separate goals have the same conversion %  

FORMS 1

Marketing -> Splash -> Start (shared) -> About You (shared) 

FORMS 2

Marketing (Shared) -> Disclaimer 1 -> Disclaimer 2 -> Start (shared) -> About you (shared) 

I thought the differences in the funnel steps would be enough to differentiate their outcomes, but I guess not? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Shared funnel steps, have same goal conversion %

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Mike,

No the funnel steps are just for Funnel Visualization, and the Goal Flow report. If you have a shared thank you page, then you can use reverse goal path or you can use the user flow report to differentiate the steps and flow through.

It should be pretty easy to create a segment to identify the different paths for analysis based upon page in session in "advanced" conditions.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3124493?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theo,  I have five products being sold via a WP membership plugin. its not a shopping cart / estore system like woocommerce or shopify. I have a shared thank you page on the site. I setup 1 step funnels (required step 1).  Step 1 is the signup page for each product. my goals registered 2 completions that day for all 5 goals. So I turned off all but our free member ship and its still not tracking. Is there a guide you kknow of to walk me through setting up multiple goals using the same thank you page. I need this done before I import to adwords.. or is it better to just create conversions in Adwords and scrap the goals in GA?

Funnel Flow  Value $1  Product-1-signup (required) > /registration-complete/ 

Value$39  Product-2-signup (required) > /registration-complete/

Value$89  Product-3-signup (required) > /registration-complete/

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Dustin,

Right after iframes, shared thank you pages are the bane of the universe.  Smiley Happy  Well not quite that bad.  1st step required only affects the funnel viz. 

This is very easy to solve if using GTM as you can check against the referring page and pass a virtual sub-directory (or other text) into the pageview.  See if you can at least pass a parameter into the thank you page something like ?ref=39 or ?ref=89 etc and create separate goals with distinct goal values (If folks are not using goal values, then it's time to pack up, close down the website and go home).   There are other options, you could do an event after validation and pass in the value as 1 or 39 or 89 and use that as the value of the goal (this would be a nice implementation).   If you can't do any, just use one goal, and use an average value for your goal value and then use reverse goal path to see from where they came.  

Lastly, you should endeavor to use GA goals and AdWords Conversion tracking.  Both work a little differently and provide their own value.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo,

I discovered that there is a parameter passed after the registration but not payment. The param contains a membership type ID (these identify the product and are static) ex: /register/?step=payment_table&membership_id=3771 then they click a button and are taken to paypal then back to the TY page /registration complete. I didn;t really follow what you were saying about passing a param using GTM, did you mean event tracking?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Dustin,

Two things...

1.  Make sure you add paypal as a referral exclusion.  

2.  Since paypal is involved using the referrer via GTM would not work.  You could use gtm or plain old coding to set a cookie on which product they've selected and then harvest that value and pass it in as a virtual page path.

References:

Renaming pages  https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/pages#modifying_page_urls

Referral exclusion:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

RE GTM:  It's just easier to do everything in GTM  Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theo thanks again,  can gtm set a cookie based of the membership ID param? if so that will work.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hey Dustin,

You can easily set a cookie using JS on the site or just do it in GTM.

I'll point you to "The Man" when it comes to GTM, Simo Ahava.

https://www.simoahava.com/gtm-tips/10-useful-custom-javascript-tricks/

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theo,

I read some guides on that blog thanks... he know his stuff.  It appears the conversion tag will trigger based on my full URL that in includes the ? string with my product id parameter.  If I do it that way (easiest) it will track a registration completion and assign a value to it, but they could abandon the cart that point.  

If I want to get super geek with it I can assign it to cookie on that page using a variable with the product id then create an Adwords Conversion to fire if 2 variables are met Custom Variable - Product Id and Referrer Variable - Paypal  

This should follow them offsite and back I think. I am not sure if it would be counted as a new session when they come back, if so would that not track?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"See if you can at least pass a parameter into the thank you page something like ?ref=39 or ?ref=89 etc and create separate goals with distinct goal values"

As I said the next page after registration does give a unique param... the id # is a product id and static.

ex: /register/?step=payment_table&membership_id=3771

But I couldn't figure out how to set it as a destination goal. Do I need to use regex? when I place the url in the goal and hit verify I got 0% conversion rate on the last 7 days which is false. if I can set it in GA then I can just import the goals in Adwords (my original plan)