AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Setup Tag triggering on Click (button)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am trying to fire a tag on a click. This is the button I want to track in my GA 

http://startlife.be/nl-BE/krijg-20-procent-korting-op-omniumverzekering , you can see the button underneath the text. That's the one.

I setup my trigger like this :

Trigger.PNG

And my tag like this : 

Tracking ID : the one we use like always

Track Type : Event

Category : Call To Action

Action : {{CTA Class}}

Label : {{CTA Href}}

For the moment, it doesn't work, does anyone have an idea on how to implement this ?
Thanks,
Sébastien

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Click URL – returns a string contained in the href or action attribute value of the auto-event element but you have data-url attribute instead in your button.

I suppose you to use Click class instead with 'contains starters__button'.

Hope this helps.

Re: Setup Tag triggering on Click (button)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Thanks for the answer. I just tried this way now, but unfortunately I still can't see it appearing in my GA real-time event overview.
So that's the setup I used now :

trigger_v2.JPG

Do you have another approach ? Smiley Happy

Thanks

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm sorry not to point you to one more fault in your configuration. You need to change trigger from "All Link Clicks" to "All Clicks"

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

You need to change trigger type from "Link Clicks" to "All elements"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks !
I did those changes but won't it mean that this tag will then fire on all the clicks ? We have several CTA on the website, but I want to track this one in particular.

So I tried to change Trigger type to "All elements" with triggers on click classe contains starters__button but it seems it doesn't work also.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I've just checked and can see that your event tag fires:

Executing Google Analytics commands.
analytics_debug.js:10 Running command: ga("gtm1484919626830.send", {hitType: "event", eventCategory: "Call To Action - minus 20%", eventAction: "undefined", eventLabel: undefined, eventValue: undefined})
but you have undefined values for action and label.
Check your settings for variables or set a constant text values and i think everything will be fine

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

With a conditions of "Click classes contains someClass" and "pageURL contains someText" your frigger will fire only on pages with specific someText and when element with particular class is clicked. So your buttons on other pages will not be affected/