Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Setting up a goal based on count of events of specific categories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am tracking a multitude of user interaction events with different categories. Now I would like to setup a goal that is defined as "5 or more events of any Category A, Category B or Category C". My aim is to get a goal conversion value for "users that did on-going interaction beyond just a few clicks of any of those categories". (So, count > 5 would simply be a way I might define this for my particular UI.).

Alternatively (if not as a Goal), I would like to create a calculated metric, which is the count of total events of Cat A, Cat B or Cat C per session.

I've been trying both goals and calculated metrics in GA and also calculated metrics in Data Studio - but neither seem to be up to the task.

Hope this makes sense, can anyone help?

Best wishes,

Martin

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin C
December 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Martin,

You are going to need to do this programmatically.  You'll need a listener that keeps track of the things you are interested in measuring and increments a variable and then once you hit your threshold; fire an event into GA that you'll use as your goal.  You can also keep track of the values of these events and use the sum as an event value in your goal event and pass that as a value - if you want.

You could also fire an ecommerce transaction when your threshold is reached and push in an array of the composite events as the product array.

Lastly you could also create a segment based upon Total Events > x -- if you want to count all events.  If not all events then create a new filtered view that excludes the other events and use total events in the new view.

Hope that helps...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin C
December 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Martin,

You are going to need to do this programmatically.  You'll need a listener that keeps track of the things you are interested in measuring and increments a variable and then once you hit your threshold; fire an event into GA that you'll use as your goal.  You can also keep track of the values of these events and use the sum as an event value in your goal event and pass that as a value - if you want.

You could also fire an ecommerce transaction when your threshold is reached and push in an array of the composite events as the product array.

Lastly you could also create a segment based upon Total Events > x -- if you want to count all events.  If not all events then create a new filtered view that excludes the other events and use total events in the new view.

Hope that helps...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn