AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Setting up a Goal based on Events with sampling issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys

I want to set up a goal based on an event I have set up. 

When I go to that event, I see that there is a big sampling issue.

When I set a goal which is based on this sampled event, will the goal by default suffer from a sampling issue as well?

Thank you!

Best,

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andreas T
June 2016

Re: Setting up a Goal based on Events with sampling issues

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey,

Yes the reporting will sometimes need sampling which can be adjusted, but when tracking an event and assigning a goal to that event there’s no sampling.

Ali

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Andreas,

Are you looking at a lot of data or using a segment when your viewing your events? Are you looking at the Top Events report?

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ali

I am looking at a lot of data, and I am not using any segments. And I am using the Top Events report.

Andreas

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for that quick reply!

So do you have sampling issues when you look at a smaller date range?

At the top right you’ll see a little box icon, under the date range picker, which you can use to change the sampling criteria.

And to answer your question, sampling only has an impact when you ask Analytics to look at a LOT of data so only your view of a lot of data is sampled, now actual events that are regarded as goals

Ali

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Looking at the last 30 days the Top Event report is based on 20% of the sessions (with highest precision). It decreases as the date range decreases. Last 7 days I see the report based on 64% of the sessions.

...So setting up a goal based on the Event, will indeed fix the sampling issue for that Event? My own data suggests that Goals based on Events (with sampling issues) will not have an issue with sampling.

Thank you!

Andreas
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andreas T
June 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey,

Yes the reporting will sometimes need sampling which can be adjusted, but when tracking an event and assigning a goal to that event there’s no sampling.

Ali