Analytics
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Setting up Goals in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We are trying to get ourselves setup in Google Analytics and I'm having a hard time identifying which page to link to when setting up our Goals. We have two main goals: (1) to sell our online courses, (2) to get people to sign up for our newsletter.

The issue I'm having is that our courses are actually purchased through a separate website, our Learning Management System (DigitalChalk). A visitor will click a link on our website and be directed to our LMS. I thought it made the most sense to link to the "Purchase Complete" page on our LMS, but I believe the URL is different for each visitor.

I'm having a similar issue with our newsletter - we use a third party website (MailChimp) and thought the best page to "track" in terms of a goal would be the "Successful Sign-Up" page visitors should see once they've signed up for our newsletter. However, I also believe the URL may be different for each visitor. 

Can anyone shed some light on this for me / tell me if I'm heading in the right direction? Thanks!
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Setting up Goals in Google Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Goals can use a partial URL match, so even though the URLs are different for each person, they probably share a part of it.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Whitney,

Can you please show us a few URLs you would like to use as your destination goals? You can check the page paths in the Behavior -> Site Content -> All Pages report. It is possible to set up different URLs as destination goals using regular expressions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,

Thanks for this info. So even if each user is assigned a unique URL, Google should still be able to track each URL as a "goal completion?" When setting this up in Google Analytics, would I just include the portion or the URL that would be shared, i.e. https://absolutelearner.digitalchalk.com/dc/payment/receipt/0546 - I could use https://absolutelearner.digitalchalk.com/dc/payment/receipt as the URL?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the response. Here is an example URL we would use: https://absolutelearner.digitalchalk.com/dc/payment/receipt/0546. How would I set this up using regular expressions??

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Whitney,

If only the end of the URL is different you can select the "Begins with" option from the dropdown and put /dc/payment/receipt/ into the field. Let me know how you get on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

I'm not sure if this would work since the site where visitors are actually making the payment is not on our website - it's on DigitalChalk's website. I believe in the method you suggested, I would be telling Google to look for /dc/payment/receipt on our own website when the action is actually occurring elsewhere. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Do you have the same tracking code on DigitalChalk's website as on your main site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Since DigitalChalk is a third-party website, I do not have the ability to adjust any of the HTML files or add a tracking code (I asked and they said they only support Google AdWords).