5.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Setting Up Goals in GA

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I am setting up Goals on a clients website.

They currently have several contact forms across different areas of their website. 

My question is: Do I set these contact forms as individual goals so I can see which page they have been completed on? Or is there a better way, so I don't use up my 20 Goal allowance just with contact form tracking.

Appreciate the help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Craig P
May 2016

Re: Setting Up Goals in GA

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Craig,

Then just create the one goal for contact form submit and use the reverse goal path. If you get unique thank you's then you can use a common pattern for the thank you pages or if not, regular expression as your march operator and pipe them into one goal.

Common pattern:

e.g. You have thankyou's for:
/products/contact-thank-you
/widgets/contact-thank-you etc
your goal can match contains /contact-thank-you

Not common:
/products/contact/thank-you
your goal can match Regular Expression /products/contact/thank-you|/widgets/contact-thank-you

You can separate multiple thank you pages with a |

Good luck!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Craig,

If they are all similar, that is they are all contact forms, I would set one goal. If they have a common thank you page, you can use the reverse goal path report to see the previous three steps.

Hopefully that is not the case and they have unique thank you's and you can use goal completion location to discern which form is used.

If the thank yous are not unique; other options are to cookie the form used and pass the cookie value into a virtual pageview or to use event tracking to get a feel for which form is submitted - you could even use the event as the goal and pass in the name of the form.

More on that here:
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/pages#modifying_page_urls
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Theo,

Thank you for this.

I currently have the choice as I need to ask our developers to create thank you pages.

My only issue is the number of contact us forms across the site sat on different page urls will take up the majority of my Goal allowance (20)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Craig P
May 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Craig,

Then just create the one goal for contact form submit and use the reverse goal path. If you get unique thank you's then you can use a common pattern for the thank you pages or if not, regular expression as your march operator and pipe them into one goal.

Common pattern:

/products/contact-thank-you
your goal can match contains /contact-thank-you

Not common:
/products/contact/thank-you
your goal can match Regular Expression /products/contact/thank-you|/widgets/contact-thank-you

You can separate multiple thank you pages with a |

Good luck!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn