Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Setting Up Goal in GA with multiple pages views being a goal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I want to create a goal that would be called "Take the next step" and would like to track as an aggregate the number of users who click on approximately 7 pages within our site. We don't care if they click on only 1 of the seven or all 7 or 3 of the 7 and they don't need to click in any order, but want to set as a Goal that if a user clicked on any of the 7 pages during a session, then the Goal is considered complete. 

Is there a way to do this without setting up a separate goal for each of the 7 pages? 

Or is there a better way than goals to set this up to get the data we need? We are looking to find number users who click and view specific pages within our site without adding up the numbers from each page but hopefully simplifying the view with a single goal. 

Thanks in advance. 

Amanda

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Amanda,

Yes you can -- what you need to do is to set up a custom goal that uses a regular expression for the page; and enter an expression that would match the 7 pages. In its simplest form, it would be something like page1|page2|...page7

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! I have not used regular expression but will research this and at least now know this is a possibility. I appreciate it! 

Do you know if I would set up the Goal description as an Event or Destination? I am thinking Event since I don't need a "final destination" as the goal, but only for the user to view any of the specified pages. But I haven't delved much more past basic goals like ending up on a thank you page or setting time spent on a page. 

I appreciate the feedback very much!

Amanda

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You don't set up a goal as an Event, you make a goal trigger when an existing Event occurs. If you don't already have events being created on your web page, then you have nothing to trigger on -- you can only use destination to identify your goal.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.