Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Setting Goals in GA and GTM?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm a little confused by some of the redundancies that appear to be required between Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager. 

I set up tracking for several goals in GTM (for example: I'm tracking outbound link clicks), I know that they're working because they show up in the Events under Real Time in GA. However, it appears that those stats disappear after so long. So do I need to set up duplicate goals in GA to match the conversion tracking i set up in GTM in order maintain this data? That seems a little redundant to me. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick Jankowski
December 2015

Re: Setting Goals in GA and GTM?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Scale,

note that there is no Google Analytics goal definition in Google Tag Manager. GTM is only for defining and firing the data that is to be sent to Google Analytics.

So, probably you set up an Analytics event in GTM to be sent to Analytics. Only in Analytics you may set up a goal using the Analytics events you got.

Christoph

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! I assumed that the event firing would count as a conversion in GA. Without a conversion goal set in GA, does that information that comes from a GTM event firing not propagate anywhere?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nick,

it's just an Analytics event fired by GTM. So, it'll appear as that in Analytics event reports. Pretty like an Analytics pageview fired by GTM that will appear as that in Analytics page reports. Whether a certain pageview or event should count as conversion - that's up to you and you'll want that to be defined as Analytics goal.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sir,
I am little confused to set a goal for my project - VALoansFinance.com and want to know the use of GTM to set different goals. Actually, if you discuss about the overall concept of goal creation / goal mapping through GA, it helps me so much.

Setting Goals in GA and GTM?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ryan,

Webfield explained it on his replies above. GTM does not have goals; however, you could set-up GTM events or Pageviews as goals in your GA goal configuration. here's a link with more details on how to set-up GA goals:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032415?hl=en